1999 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L V6)

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I love her!!
By alavacca on 12/23/14 11:45 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

So I bought this truck after my Acura Integra was stolen. I decided I wanted to be higher up off the ground so I bought the 99 explorer. I absolutely loved the truck but I am 4 foot 10 so it was hurting my back. I decided to sell it for a smaller car. I sold the car to my fiance's old boss. Three weeks later my smaller car was totaled. His ex boss kept the title and truck in the parking lot and it was never touched. After 3 months we offered to pay him back for it and he did. The truck was not started in 3 months (and it is very cold here) and she started right up!! She always started right up and never gave me an issue. I knew I could never part with this truck!

love my Explorer
By balger on 01/10/07 14:05 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my XLT Explorer new in '99 and am now going to sell it after 128K miles. I have never had any major problems. I changed the thermostat once and the alternator once, but $800 in repairs over almost 8 years isn't so bad. The ride is bumpy. The power locks are about worn out and the radio randomly switches to CD randomly, but it's an old SUV. What do you expect?

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily
By LBozeman on 03/13/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We bought the truck new. The check engine light has come on 7 times. Now the engine needs to be replaced. We have put close to a $500 in repairs into this truck every year for the last 7 years. We had to replace tires after the Firestone recall, the truck has had a shake in it ever since. When we go over a bump in the road or our driveway, the truck rocks so bad I feel like I have whiplash. I will NEVER buy another Explorer again. I begged my husband not to buy this one, now look where we are!

Ford Explorer XLT
By Peri_P_Laneta on 03/04/06 15:37 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new in 1999 and have put on only about 40,000 miles. Has been very reliable, although it did take 6 attempts before the dealer was able to fix the rear wiper motor. Has been fairly comfortable to drive. The controls are reasonably convenient to use and the driver's seat adjustment works pretty well. I'd buy it again.

6 plus years and still humming
By Gasburner on 02/27/06 21:28 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought a V8 XLT with the sport package brand new. Tows my 17' boat like it is not even back there. No real problems to speak of, except maybe poor quality of Ford service departments. The engine and transmission have been rock solid. I had some problems early on with the windshield wipers having a mind of there own. I also had the front ball joints go out at 50K. Everything fixed under (extended) warranty. At the rate I'm going, I don't think I'll get my money back (in repairs) for the extended warranty. All in all I have no regrets.

great SUV
By nno on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new, now has 92,000 miles, almost no problems with vehicle. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Used to tow a camper since purchased.

Great SUV
By JBL4 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer new. I have been extremely impressed. The 5.0L V8 puts out a good amount of power, although it get terrible gas mileage (11mpg/16mpg). Perfect size and very manuverable. Comfortable on the highway, but feels every bump in the city. Very reliable except for on very cold days- Fords don't like the cold. No problems until about 60K miles. We had to replace the sparkplugs- $200. Overall, great car for the price.

No more Ford!
By rotceh on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle brand new. Multiple recalls, a rear windshield wiper that NEVER worked, and just flat out bad Quality Control from the factory. First and last time I buy a Ford.

Last time explorer buyer
By bama on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

It has been in for maintenance on the horn 7 times.

Ford Explorer
By brenfin on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I will never buy another Ford Explorer. Plagued with numerous recalls from the beginning, this vehicle performed poorly. Comparing cost to value received, I did not get my money's worth. I expected more from a $30,000 vehicle. Little things like malfunctioning windshield wipers, stereo/radio,sticky gas pedal, etc. are results of slipshod engineering.