Used 1999 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I love her!!
By alavacca

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

So I bought this truck after my Acura Integra was stolen. I decided I wanted to be higher up off the ground so I bought the 99 explorer. I absolutely loved the truck but I am 4 foot 10 so it was hurting my back. I decided to sell it for a smaller car. I sold the car to my fiance's old boss. Three weeks later my smaller car was totaled. His ex boss kept the title and truck in the parking lot and it was never touched. After 3 months we offered to pay him back for it and he did. The truck was not started in 3 months (and it is very cold here) and she started right up!! She always started right up and never gave me an issue. I knew I could never part with this truck!

Suggested Improvements

Window motor, door lock, center console

love my Explorer
By balger

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my XLT Explorer new in '99 and am now going to sell it after 128K miles. I have never had any major problems. I changed the thermostat once and the alternator once, but $800 in repairs over almost 8 years isn't so bad. The ride is bumpy. The power locks are about worn out and the radio randomly switches to CD randomly, but it's an old SUV. What do you expect?

Favorite Features

Room for cargo and myself. Easy in/out in front and back. Rugged good looks. High ride. The keypad on the door is the best. I lock my keys in the truck at a ball game and use the keypad to get back in. That way I don't have to lug keys around all day. It's great!

Suggested Improvements

I'm only getting rid of it because I want a fancier look to drive people around in. I will miss it greatly.

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily
By LBozeman

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We bought the truck new. The check engine light has come on 7 times. Now the engine needs to be replaced. We have put close to a $500 in repairs into this truck every year for the last 7 years. We had to replace tires after the Firestone recall, the truck has had a shake in it ever since. When we go over a bump in the road or our driveway, the truck rocks so bad I feel like I have whiplash. I will NEVER buy another Explorer again. I begged my husband not to buy this one, now look where we are!

Favorite Features

Interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Everything under the hood! Talk to any mechanic you know and they'll tell they see the Explorer in their shop more often than a foreign car or SUV.

Ford Explorer XLT
By Peri_P_Laneta

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new in 1999 and have put on only about 40,000 miles. Has been very reliable, although it did take 6 attempts before the dealer was able to fix the rear wiper motor. Has been fairly comfortable to drive. The controls are reasonably convenient to use and the driver's seat adjustment works pretty well. I'd buy it again.

Favorite Features

Good visibility; convenient controls; lots of usable interior space; good passenger seating; excellent paint job; adequate fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

It rides like a truck; well, it IS a truck, essentially. You have to ignore Ford's recommendations for tire pressure; this is the model that came with the Firestone Wilderness A/Ts installed. does not corner particularly well, but tracking is fine.

6 plus years and still humming
By Gasburner

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought a V8 XLT with the sport package brand new. Tows my 17' boat like it is not even back there. No real problems to speak of, except maybe poor quality of Ford service departments. The engine and transmission have been rock solid. I had some problems early on with the windshield wipers having a mind of there own. I also had the front ball joints go out at 50K. Everything fixed under (extended) warranty. At the rate I'm going, I don't think I'll get my money back (in repairs) for the extended warranty. All in all I have no regrets.

Favorite Features

V8, 255 x 70 x 16 Michelin LTX tires, and auto headlights with auto dimming rearview mirror (best $87 I ever spent).

Suggested Improvements

I think Ford hit all my suggestions with the latest model, except the load floor on the '06's should be completely flat (not almost flat).