Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Now it's time to move on
By R.Craig

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a great suv for us, I drove over a long distance and also pulled in the same. Over the time that I've had it I spent very little on repair.

1999 explorer xls 4wd
By Omar Diosdado

1999 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car! Used every day to work average 70 miles round trip strong engine enough room for 5 persons and large enough cargo space...

2nd vehicle and loving it!
By frank nunez

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Got my 99 explorer in febuary of 2013 with only 97**** miles and now towards the end of 2015 with 104*** still running strong with the 5.0 engine. Plenty of room for my wife and 2 kids and you wouldnt believe how much stuff we hauled with this,better then a pickup. Truck has been very reliable with the only maintenence done to it has been buying a new set of tires when got it,got rear and front brakes replaced and one time car did not start thought it was the starter had it checked out wasn't the problem,turned out to be the pulley that wasn't allowing it to crank replaced and nothing since. Got a MagnaFlow exhaust which makes it sound beasty,I leave Hondas in the dust! See other reviews of them pushing to 200*** plus miles and taking care of this bad boy hoping to keep em around to get him there.

I love her!!
By alavacca

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

So I bought this truck after my Acura Integra was stolen. I decided I wanted to be higher up off the ground so I bought the 99 explorer. I absolutely loved the truck but I am 4 foot 10 so it was hurting my back. I decided to sell it for a smaller car. I sold the car to my fiance's old boss. Three weeks later my smaller car was totaled. His ex boss kept the title and truck in the parking lot and it was never touched. After 3 months we offered to pay him back for it and he did. The truck was not started in 3 months (and it is very cold here) and she started right up!! She always started right up and never gave me an issue. I knew I could never part with this truck!

Window motor, door lock, center console

Oldie still going strong
By jenennis06

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I owe a 1999 Ford Explorer. I love my truck. I live where it snows a lot and it rolls over all of it with no issues. I has enough room for my family and our pets. I can easily say this is the best thing I have owned. Bought with a newer motor (under 20,000 miles on it) and it says it over 224,000 miles on the truck it's self. The engine runs smooth. Starts every time. Has some cosmetic rust. But I figure that's normal. Replaced normal wear and tear items. I bought a new radio by choice. With all the bad I find the good and would buy a Ford again.

Pros: Room Safety 4 wheel drive Reliable Parts are pretty easy to find Tells me the temperature Cons: Inside wear and tear. My middle console is ripped. Back wiper doesn't work Back door is Bipolar. Works when it wants to I need to replace ball joints (were done few years ago) Gas mileage stinks. I travel a lot. Rust Doors auto lock and I have to unlock them from the drivers door. I physically have to open the passengers door from the drivers side also.

What can they really do? It is an older truck and wear and tear comes with owing it. I wish it was a little bit bigger. And had heated seats.