1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: The original and maybe the bes

1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Review

The original and maybe the best
By Wiredpair on

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased my XLT AWD Explorer last year and so far, no complaints. The 5.0L 302CID is a tried and true motor and it doesn't disappoint here. I've found it be very responsive when needed and it certainly outperformed my '96 Grand Cherokee with 4.0 I-6 engine. The AWD drive system is engaged at all times and if you have previously driven rear drive vehicles, you'll notice this but quickly get used to it. The ride quality is smooth for a SUV and it also handles pretty well for a SUV. Styling is superior to the current styling IMHO, especially the chrome grille and bumpers. Fuel efficiency is as expected, I get around 19-20 MPG on the highway. I'd recommend this SVU if you are in the market.

My particular Explorer comes with a V8, factory sunroof, CD changer, running boards, premium wheels, etc. These are my favorite features and that's why I bought it.

All minor. Interior comfort is a little tight for 4 medium sized to large sized adults; if you need space, get an Expedition. The gearshift location in drive is not ideal as it interferes with the stereo. The rims I have are so hard to clean too! Not much else to complain about.