1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Sport 2dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!
By g8torgirl on

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm the original owner and primary driver-it's been flawless other than a new A/C in 2003 ($750). Live in FL, but have driven it often to/from/in NC mountains and it was great w/the manual transmission, made it tons o' fun. Decent mileage for an SUV (22/19 mpg). Oil is changed every 3,000 mi. Had 3 sets of tires-Goodrich lasts longest-Goodyear the least and the most flats (too soft). Replaced one out of round wheel ($450) under warranty. Minor leaks in back fixed windows. No rollovers (driver error in my opinion & I'm a woman). Exterior finish and wheels are still shiny (we wax). Bought vinyl liner for cargo area and excellent mats--a great investment. My previous vehicle? Manual'88 BroncoII

Favorite Features

I adore the manual transmission, love the quickness/spunkiness. Handling is excellent no matter what others say. Extremely comfy on a long trip w/cloth seats and factory tinted windows. Cargo area and privacy cover great for shopping. I love everything about it, except that it's 11 years old!

Suggested Improvements

I don't think they make the Sport anymore, but I'd like a smaller, fatter steering wheel for better control. Every vehicle needs CD, not tape players! Better window seals to prevent leakage, but, it is older!