1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Nice SUV - Needs some improvem

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Nice SUV - Needs some improvement
By mike0202 on

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My two biggest complaints is the fuel economy (typical of all SUV's, and some mechanical issues. I do allot of driving, however I wish there was a diesel model available! Regarding the maintenance. Absolutely get an extended service plan. It is worth every penny. My Explorer has 50,000 miles on it...and approximately $2,000 worth of mechanical issues have had to be contended with. Maintenance is to be expected from a used car. However, I am thankful that the repairs have been on 'their dime' and not mine. Buy this car if you can get all the maintnence records to ensure that the major stuff has been repaired or get an extended service plan.

Favorite Features

I love the space and versatility of this SUV. Also, the seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Doors are made cheaply. I recently replaced my front stereo speakers and noticed how cheap and thin the steal is. God for bid I get hit on the side by another car/truck. Also, the brakes have a natural cracking sound. Ford tells me this is the nature of the brakes. I find it annoying.