1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Love it - usual problems

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Love it - usual problems
By Chuck on

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

My EB has 130,000 on it now. Have had typical problems that would be found on any vehicle regardless of the make. Brakes, shocks, squeaks and rattles, etc. All of these things I consider normal for an older vehicle. Ball joints are a problem and very expensive because they're part of the entire upper control arm assembly. Replacement is fairly easy for a backyard mechanic, but $200 labor for each side from a dealer wouldn't be out of the question. Gas mileage is better than my best friend's V6 EB. I average 22 hwy and 17 city. Keep the vehicle well cared for and it will treat you well. Overall, I'm very satisfied and would gladly buy another.

Brakes are very strong. Good power when you need it (but watch that gas needle go down!). Rear sound controls for my daughter on long trips. Interior has held up wonderful...seats still look like new.

A replaceable ball joint that only costs the typical $30-40 NOT $200-300. The front suspension system is silly and doesn't ride any better than other systems/ styles.