1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: It starts, that's where it end

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Sport 2dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual)

It starts, that's where it ends
By colonelredsock on

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle (91k miles) for the 4wd, which works just fine. I'm now around 150k miles, some suspension problems. What's most frustrating has to be all the little things. Here's the list: rear wiper, oustide temp on mirror, Cruise control, led lights on/around cd player (had to replace with aftermarket cd player), lights no longer come on when you open doors, levers on both seats broke, fog lights don't work, headlights occasionally short out while on the road, all door locks work occasionally at best, I've had to replace upper and lower joints, passenger mirror fell out! All this and not to mention it gets lousy gas mileage. I get 15 mpg if I'm lucky.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly the 4WD has to be the saving grace of this vehicle. I purchased a 100K extended Powertrain warranty and I have yet to file a claim for any such repairs.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical problems with this SUV are too much for me to ignore. Apparently Ford has a history of this which I was unaware of. I also owned a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 (electrical problems that lead to a fire). There's just too many better vehicles out there for me to buy Ford again. I was duped