1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: I like it at 98k

1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Review

I like it at 98k
By DJ Soulseeka on

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have had this Sport for a few months. It's quiet powerful handles well regardless of what anyone else says. I've been driving full blown Nascar racecars so I know handling. Corners well for a short wheel-based truck. No fluid leaks at all, mileage 22 mpg on the road, a/c and heat will run you out. The rear wiper is almost useless unless you bend it towards the glass to get more contact. Overall I know this a GREAT value. If you don't need the four door don't get it. You still get a lot of truck and cargo area, not to metion lighter, so better mileage and cost less. Most of all DON'T get the 4.0 SOHC if at all possible.

Powerful 4.0, smooth 5 speed, great seats, quiet, roomy interior, great power assist steering, big rear-view mirrors, fast power windows.

The automatic tranny, rear wiper (done on newer body styles), the vibrating idle, bring back the Sport... a true Sport. Lowered, exhaust, big tire package, ya know.