Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Perfect EXP
By D.ARN

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I love this vehicle! It's 10 years old now and I only have 84000 miles on it! I drove it from MN to CA towing a trailer and it was fine! I never want to give it up! When the rest of my family all has new cars I just want to keep mine. The only thing was the airconditioning needed to be recharged. It's a forever keeper even in this fuel shortage economy.

AWD and big engine

None

Great Running vehicle
By Robin

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought used in 2006. It had 75,000 on it. We have not had a problem one with the vehicle. It's very dependable. We have driven 2 or 3 times back and forth from Michigan to Florida and from Florida to Missouri once. We have put tires on it once and replaced rear brakes in 2008. We would definitely buy another Explorer! The rear seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that - we love it!

The stereo is decent.

Better back seats!

Dad passed away and I kept his car
By TREE

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The radio definitely should have been fixed by Ford! Spark plugs shorted out. The driver's side door would not open from the inside so I could not get out of the car. It cost me $390 the other day to fix which hit me hard being a single mom of three children. The antenna also needed to be fixed because it wouldn"t go up and down. It got stuck in the middle. The windshield wipers did not work and the whole thing inside had to be replaced a few months ago and that ran about $280. The back one does not work now, but it is not important to get that fix nlike the front ones. I keep this car because it was my fathers and it has sentimental value or I would have gotten rid of it.

98Ford Explorer expensive to maintain.
By Michael J. Stancil

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My SUV is starting to need some major repairs at 100,000 miles. After discovering that it would not pass State Inspection or Emissions Test, I placed it in the shop to fix: O2 sensors, engine oil-leak, engine light on, front-end repair to fix play in front left wheel, and a radio display light that's broke but will not be fixed because the dealer said it's a common internal problem and replacing the entire radio is the only option. Total spent to pass Inspection is $2,500. Other recent repairs include: new shocks, new brakes, ball joints at over $2,000, for a total yearly repair bill of $4,500. Also, gas mileage with the V8 is terrible.

Decent ride. Excellent stereo audio quality and storage capability.

Pay attention to quality at the manufacturer, recall the common radio display problem, and produce a fuel efficient SUV.

Great Daily Driver
By mshuler09

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased from a family member who got it from a Ford dealer used. As an auto tech student I've done some work to it. Since I've had it, and the only problems I've found with it are leaking valve covers, and the thermostat on it got stuck open. Pretty easy fixes, and nothing that will leave you stranded. Overall it's a great car to drive everyday.

4wd, 4 door, 4.0 ohv

More room for backseat passengers