1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Like it but not sure I'll buy another
By Jalbs on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I teh SUV used with 58,000 miles on it. I had to replace the breaks and rotars at 65K, replace the original battery at 75K and at 80K I needed new ball joints. The stereo system is junk. The CD player shorted out 5 months after I bought it and there is a loose connection some where in the wire running to the rear speakers which causes them work about 25% of the time. I have driven it about 400 mile from Boston to Rochester, NY about 10 times now (3 times with a full cargo bed) and and very pleased with the truck. I'm just worried to see what is going to go wrong in another 10,000 miles.

This is my last Ford..
By drifter on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I don't know where to start.With 68K miles engine died (chain tensioner failed),paint is allready chipped and faded,running boards are all rusty,hood lootch broke off recently, drivers seat frame and seat latch broken too,rear differential makes horrible hissing sound,front bearings and ball joints failed also,radio LED is blinking all the time,one of the control panel lights died,check engine light coming on and off constantly,had to replace lower and upper intake gaskets and idle motor(engine wouldn't start in cold weather,faulty headlights switch,terrible gas mileage and the list goes on and on...This is my lesson, last Ford EVER.

98 xlt review (SOHC - 6cyl)
By jaason on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought the car new. Itís a good reliable vehicle, especially considering the features and 4 wheel drive components. The car handles well in high winds, up hills, and fully loaded. The cargo compartment is spacious, enough for 4 people for a week of camping. The Explorer, for me, is the right size for most all situations, easy to handle, and well built enough for off-road use. Easily handles the worst weather.

One Diehard SUV
By TheBrain on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have had this SUV for 26 months and love it! Plenty of power out of the engine and the 4x4 has gotten me (into and) out of many muddy situations. Drives like a car and sits like a truck. I spend a lot of time in this toy and the seats are holding up quite nicely.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By 6CF on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Required new engine with only 66,000 miles, and replaced head gasket for $1200 just one month prior -- big waste. Cost to repair more than value of vehicle! By the way I changed the oil every 5000 miles. Don't buy a Ford!

Ford Explorer
By Jk on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Never had a mechanical problem Now have 105000 mi.

Way to go Explorer
By John 999 on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

After an accident, I needed a cheap car fast. This six year old Explorer with 90,000 + miles has become our #1 vehicle. The six cyl. gives me over 23 MPG. Go figure. Great for hauling kids to college. Ride is stiff, but you can't have it all. My first Ford in 25 years, but it won't be the last.

its okay
By clint on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my explorer about a year ago when it had 94,000 miles. Now it has 104,000. It makes noises when you drive. I was told to replace the shocks so I did. It help somewhat but mad the misstake and put rancho shocks on. Supper rough ride!! I bought leather seats for it and realy like them. Engine seems like a good one except when below 25 degrees, then makes funny noises when started. I would recomend, but trading in, in the next week for a pick-up.

sad to sell
By mary fullerton on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle since it's birth and am sad to sell it as it has NEVER left me stranded- and has done very well in 2 small accidents. The tures ROCK, and I love the steering controls for heat, cruise, tunes. I have a bunch of kids and moved into a Toyota Sequoia. I only hate that they don't hold their value due to so many program cars!

Hits where it hurts
By Dave H on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased for way below book and made up the difference in repairs. Power steering, torshion bars, shocks, ignition and ABS all repaired in 14 months. Every 3 months I was in getting something else fixed. $2000 out the window. Anyone want to buy a Ford?