Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ford Quality not too shabby
By Andy

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords all of my life. This was our first and only SUV purchase. We bought it new and have only had to make routine maintenance repairs mostly. I did recently repair the door latch on the driver's side, but other than that it has been batteries, tires, brakes, and so far no tune-up. I will complain about two items: the stereo display and the rough ride. The display on the stereo went out right after the warranty ended and I know this has happened on many other fords. The ride is very rough, but maybe I just need to break down a buy new shocks. We have owned a Honda and a Saturn, both of which lost their transmissions at 80K miles, so I feel the explorer was a good choice for us.

Reliability, decent power for a V6, parts are cheaper than imports, nice family vehicle,

What else could go wrong?
By SLEEK_CHEETAH

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

From 2002 on up. The radiator blew up at least three times a year and the transmission went out at least once a year. The engine blew once and the battery melted once. There were check engine lights left and right. The dash went out a few times taking the headlights with it. The doors kept sticking and wouldn't open from the inside until the handles finally broke off. A few doors wouldn't open at all. I just kept fixing it all and kept saying I loved the car, now I admit I spent way too much just trying to keep it running. I spent 13,000 just buying the car, and I spent 8,000 or more just to keep it running. NOT WORTH IT!!!

COMFORT & VERSATILITY STYLE & FEATURES

Everything under the hood. TRANSMISSION RADIATIOR TRANSMISSION COOLING SYSTEM HOSES & LINES DASH & ELECTRICAL OIL LINES & ENGINE DOOR MOTORS SEAT BOLTS

Good so far
By Midwest

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this from a credit union (repo) and have been having fun. Have done a lot of maintenance that you would expect at 125,000 miles. Shocks, water pump, tires, ball joints, etc. Now that it has what it needed, I would drive it cross country with no hesitation. It's good for it's age. Awesome in snow!

Body style, good drive train.

Mach stereo was faulty. (Probably the most common fault in this model year)

Still truckin'
By mispinla

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

It's almost a year later since my last review. I have a true love hate realtionship with this car. I love its reliability but hate driving a ten year old car. Overall, I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I now have almost 170,000 miles on it and this year have only had to buy tires and an altenator besides the regular matinence of course. I drive about 40 miles to and from work M-F. Everything's working on the car right now and has all year. It still starts without applying gas and can keep up in the fast lane. Plan to keep it until the wheels roll off (I'd feel wasteful buying one if not necessary). At this rate I'll be driving it until I'm ready for retirement (in about 25 years!)

It's still running. Every feature still works. Comfortable ride. Plenty of room for cargo. I feel safe in it.

Better quality interior parts. Looks and feels cheap, yet has held up relatively well.

Full of problems
By not happy

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. Third day I had it all of the gauges stopped working then countless electrical issues. Many problems with the suspension. This truck only has 78,000 miles on it but feels and drives like one with over 200,000 miles on it. Very unhappy with his purchase will never buy another one again.

Aftermarket stereo and the 4 wheel drive when it works.

Everything!