1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great Vehicle
By JRR on 06/09/05 12:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I was very hesitant buying an American made vehicle, but the Explorer has proven to be very reliable. It rides and handles decently for a truck-based vehicle, and is very quiet on the road.

The original and maybe the best
By Wiredpair on 05/09/05 17:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased my XLT AWD Explorer last year and so far, no complaints. The 5.0L 302CID is a tried and true motor and it doesn't disappoint here. I've found it be very responsive when needed and it certainly outperformed my '96 Grand Cherokee with 4.0 I-6 engine. The AWD drive system is engaged at all times and if you have previously driven rear drive vehicles, you'll notice this but quickly get used to it. The ride quality is smooth for a SUV and it also handles pretty well for a SUV. Styling is superior to the current styling IMHO, especially the chrome grille and bumpers. Fuel efficiency is as expected, I get around 19-20 MPG on the highway. I'd recommend this SVU if you are in the market.

Great car, would definitely buy again
By JBoge on 05/05/05 21:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Explorer Sport new and currently have 172,500 miles and counting. It has been a great car and virtually maintenance free. After 160,miles, I had to replace the brakes, front shocks and ball joints. Changed the shift motor twice and I have some rust on the rear bumper and running boards. Other than that, it is as good as the day I bought it.

Watch Out For The SOHC V-6
By Cibs on 04/21/05 18:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Explorer used with 70k miles on it and thought what a great deal I got until I found out that FORD has had problems with the SOHC V-6. It seems so much that FORD upped the warranty to 6 years and 72k miles and unfortunately I am just over the miles and years for the warranty. The problems are with the intake gasket and the cam chain tensioners so look out if your Explorer is a 1997 to 1999 with the 4.0L SOHC V-6. Love this truck for everything else.

Ford Explorer, 1998
By MaryRW on 04/07/05 15:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the Explorer and find it very comfortable and useful for hauling things around. However, it uses massive amounts of gas.

Great for beginners
By Karen on 01/05/05 19:27 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car for myself and handed it over to my teenage daughter for her first car. We have had very little problems with the vehicle. She drives it all over to softball games. I would definitely buy another one.

Still going strong
By Whatever on 12/26/04 21:01 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought it 67 months ago. No major problems. The radio was replaced, but nothing else. As long as you maintain it, expect no problems. Wish it was worth something for trade in. Will probably give it to family instead of trading it for peanuts!

Well it,s a Ford!
By Steelersrule on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I hated Ford since the purchase date because they promised repainting due to "acid rain issue" but never followed through. Overall my XL served well but no options causes a quick lack of interest. Choose wisely.

Another solid Ford truck
By kfkodiak on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used with 89K, Have fixed only minor issues. 4.0 OHV is slightly lacking on steep highway grades, but very reliable, and reasonably efficient for a vehicle this heavy. 5SP auto transmission is still smooth at over 100K mi. The cargo space is great, and the seats are comfortable on long trips. Auto 4x4 lets the truck claw its way around in wet/snowy weather, even off-roading I've rarely needed 4HI/4LO. Hasn't let me down yet! My only complaints: - Rides like a truck, go figure. - Water collects in the roof channels during rain, then spills over the windshield when you first move the truck. - Tinted rear window scratches easily.

Not worth the high sticker price
By sangelaspop on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had alot of minor problems overs the years,especially the wheel area. Have problems with tire inside/outside tire wear. Have had two alignments, shocks all the way around,problems with led on radio/CD player, etc... Not too bad I guess, considering the amount of miles driven. But it nickles & dimes you. Probably the worst Ford I've ever owned. Miss my SHO!