Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Overall, reliable
By Mike13

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this truck for a few years and it has never given me any MAJOR problems. A small electrical problem with the drivers door lock and recently replaced the vent blower moter, but other than some small normal wear'n'tear repairs, it always gets me where I need to go. 189,000+ miles and running strong.

Reliable, and easy to perform do-it-yourself repairs on and I use the keyless entry all the time.

Had to replace the front driveshaft and aftermarket shafts are not built to the same quality as OEM. Too bad the price difference is $500

More reliable than my Lexus
By John

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased used 75000 miles ago

Very Reliable, better than my Lexus LX450!

Never again a Ford
By ccslye

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

98 Ford Explorer engine disintegrated at 58000 miles because of a faulty cam tensioner. (A known 4.0 SOHC problem) New factory rebuilt engine installed at dealer. Over $6,000 new engine in dealer 4 times for squeaking and noise problems. 98 Ford Explorer engine disintegrated at 58000 miles because of a faulty cam tensioner. (A known 4.0 SOHC problem) New factory rebuilt engine installed at dealer. Over $6,000 new engine in dealer 4 times for squeaking and noise problems. Changed various parts now I find out engine thrust bearing is what was squeaking and after it failed squeaking stopped. 6 months of problem solving did not even look at bearing problem. Engine is destroyed at 13,000 mls

Good car if maintained
By Welderman

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

The Eddie Bauer AWD Explorer is a reliable car if properly maintained. I have never had problems with the drive train or engine (88,000 miles). It gets an honest 18.7 mpg at 55-65mph and the car is over 10 years old. My major maintenance was replacing rusted brake lines and rear brakes when they failed from corrosion. I'm big so I find it very comfortable, especially the leather bucket seats as do passengers in the back seats. The A/C is used a lot in the South and it works great. Change the oil every 5000 miles and change the transmission oil every 50,000 miles. Flush the radiator out when you change the transmission oil and it will last a long time. Built Ford tough.

A/C and CD changer

Standard tires should be Michelins

Great Car
By Ellen

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car last year, It had a bad AC when I bought it & I knew this. It only cost me $500 to repair & I have had no problems since. It has gotten me everywhere I go & the AC blows really cold now. I really like all the features it has. I just wish it had a better MPG. Only other problem is the keyless entry sometimes works & sometimes doesn't. Great Car!

Automatic door locks when put car in drive. Rear Air

Make keyless entry remote work better & make it a better gas saving car in future.