Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good solid SUV
By Katie

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car from the original owner 5.5 years ago when it already had 98000 miles on it. It is now at 238,000 and has never had any major problems. The only time it left me stranded was when the battery was long overdue to be replaced. We plan on replacing it soon with a newer model of the same thing. Can't say enough good things about this truck, it has been a great family car, reliable, fantastic in the snow and off road, and very forgiving of our lax maintenance of it. Hoping to upgrade with a new one with third row seats. Love this car!

Stupid little things that break, door locks,power windows, etc. Not reliability issues, but still annoying at times.

Ford tough for me
By derekt98xl

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I was always a Honda Toyota guy. Then I bought the explorer and has been very reliable. Just maintanence, and I believe that is the key with any car. Some people get angry if their ball joints or suspension parts fail but you have to consider they are a part of regular maintanence. In the past I bought a couple Honda's that had everything wrong with them a week after the purchase simply because of lack of maintanence. So from now on I only buy cars with maintanence reports. Which makes sense if someone goes to the trouble of keeping all those records they must have taken good care of the vehicle. Most of the time those are the vehicles with Nice and clean interiors.

Body and interior styling.peppy v6.Fuel economy for a sturdy built truck chassis is very good.reliability.

Replacing oil pan gasket calls for removal of the engine that's ridiculous for such a common maintanence item.

Still going strong
By MSH

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my explorer new and now have about 120k miles on it. It has had its share of maintenance issues (radio display, back windshield wiper, fuel pumpx2, belts, sensors, minor suspension issues, etc) but overall it has been pretty reliable. I perform scheduled maintenance regularly and don't worry about random breakdowns or taking on long trips. Both the interior and the exterior have held up well and (IMHO) still look good. Overall, the value of the car to me far exceeds its blue book price.

Room, comfort, handling in snow

WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!
By g8torgirl

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I'm the original owner and primary driver-it's been flawless other than a new A/C in 2003 ($750). Live in FL, but have driven it often to/from/in NC mountains and it was great w/the manual transmission, made it tons o' fun. Decent mileage for an SUV (22/19 mpg). Oil is changed every 3,000 mi. Had 3 sets of tires-Goodrich lasts longest-Goodyear the least and the most flats (too soft). Replaced one out of round wheel ($450) under warranty. Minor leaks in back fixed windows. No rollovers (driver error in my opinion & I'm a woman). Exterior finish and wheels are still shiny (we wax). Bought vinyl liner for cargo area and excellent mats--a great investment. My previous vehicle? Manual'88 BroncoII

I adore the manual transmission, love the quickness/spunkiness. Handling is excellent no matter what others say. Extremely comfy on a long trip w/cloth seats and factory tinted windows. Cargo area and privacy cover great for shopping. I love everything about it, except that it's 11 years old!

I don't think they make the Sport anymore, but I'd like a smaller, fatter steering wheel for better control. Every vehicle needs CD, not tape players! Better window seals to prevent leakage, but, it is older!

No complaints
By NAD

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new now has 126K miles. Original tran. replaced under warranty at 35k miles. Since then its been a pretty good vehicle. Very capable off-road vehicle. Still has original fact. wheel alignment! Does not come close to overheating in the most extreme conditions even when towing. Since resale value seems to be so low suspect I'll drive it till it drops