1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Still truckin'
By mispinla on 12/11/08 22:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

It's almost a year later since my last review. I have a true love hate realtionship with this car. I love its reliability but hate driving a ten year old car. Overall, I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I now have almost 170,000 miles on it and this year have only had to buy tires and an altenator besides the regular matinence of course. I drive about 40 miles to and from work M-F. Everything's working on the car right now and has all year. It still starts without applying gas and can keep up in the fast lane. Plan to keep it until the wheels roll off (I'd feel wasteful buying one if not necessary). At this rate I'll be driving it until I'm ready for retirement (in about 25 years!)

Full of problems
By not happy on 11/02/08 11:45 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. Third day I had it all of the gauges stopped working then countless electrical issues. Many problems with the suspension. This truck only has 78,000 miles on it but feels and drives like one with over 200,000 miles on it. Very unhappy with his purchase will never buy another one again.

Only a month
By Mad driver on 10/31/08 17:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for only a month, 100,000 miles you expect to have some problems. However this is just to much, even with a waranty! First off the transfer case went out, then the heater, as well as the ball joints on the front end, oh yeah and my brake lights decided to short out, as well as all the lights in the car! I could have been in a really bad accident if someone didn't tell me my brake lights didn't work. The electrical problems are so bad! One day things run great and the next, nothing works (windows, lights, sun roof, windshield wipers, etc.)! Stay away from this car because your safety means more then a sweet looking ride!

It starts, that's where it ends
By colonelredsock on 09/07/08 22:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle (91k miles) for the 4wd, which works just fine. I'm now around 150k miles, some suspension problems. What's most frustrating has to be all the little things. Here's the list: rear wiper, oustide temp on mirror, Cruise control, led lights on/around cd player (had to replace with aftermarket cd player), lights no longer come on when you open doors, levers on both seats broke, fog lights don't work, headlights occasionally short out while on the road, all door locks work occasionally at best, I've had to replace upper and lower joints, passenger mirror fell out! All this and not to mention it gets lousy gas mileage. I get 15 mpg if I'm lucky.

Perfect EXP
By D.ARN on 07/22/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I love this vehicle! It's 10 years old now and I only have 84000 miles on it! I drove it from MN to CA towing a trailer and it was fine! I never want to give it up! When the rest of my family all has new cars I just want to keep mine. The only thing was the airconditioning needed to be recharged. It's a forever keeper even in this fuel shortage economy.

Great Running vehicle
By Robin on 07/14/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought used in 2006. It had 75,000 on it. We have not had a problem one with the vehicle. It's very dependable. We have driven 2 or 3 times back and forth from Michigan to Florida and from Florida to Missouri once. We have put tires on it once and replaced rear brakes in 2008. We would definitely buy another Explorer! The rear seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that - we love it!

Dad passed away and I kept his car
By TREE on 06/12/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The radio definitely should have been fixed by Ford! Spark plugs shorted out. The driver's side door would not open from the inside so I could not get out of the car. It cost me $390 the other day to fix which hit me hard being a single mom of three children. The antenna also needed to be fixed because it wouldn"t go up and down. It got stuck in the middle. The windshield wipers did not work and the whole thing inside had to be replaced a few months ago and that ran about $280. The back one does not work now, but it is not important to get that fix nlike the front ones. I keep this car because it was my fathers and it has sentimental value or I would have gotten rid of it.

98Ford Explorer expensive to maintain.
By Michael J. Stancil on 05/21/08 10:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My SUV is starting to need some major repairs at 100,000 miles. After discovering that it would not pass State Inspection or Emissions Test, I placed it in the shop to fix: O2 sensors, engine oil-leak, engine light on, front-end repair to fix play in front left wheel, and a radio display light that's broke but will not be fixed because the dealer said it's a common internal problem and replacing the entire radio is the only option. Total spent to pass Inspection is $2,500. Other recent repairs include: new shocks, new brakes, ball joints at over $2,000, for a total yearly repair bill of $4,500. Also, gas mileage with the V8 is terrible.

Great Daily Driver
By mshuler09 on 03/26/08 17:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased from a family member who got it from a Ford dealer used. As an auto tech student I've done some work to it. Since I've had it, and the only problems I've found with it are leaking valve covers, and the thermostat on it got stuck open. Pretty easy fixes, and nothing that will leave you stranded. Overall it's a great car to drive everyday.

98 Exprorer Sport
By DaveP on 02/15/08 12:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought new, and have had no significant problems after 10 years and 90000 miles. Gas mileage averages 20 overall, with about 22 on the hwy. Very comfortable for long trips.