Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most dependable car I've ever owned
By Mark

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I will keep this short. I have owned this vehicle since 1999 with about 20K miles on it. It now has 225K miles on it. Other than common perishable parts like tires and brakes, I have had to replace the 02 sensor, the alternator, the exhaust (because it rusted through the cats), and the gas filler fuel neck (because I broke it getting too rough with the gas hose). Most all of these went near the 200K mile mark. That is IT. You wanna talk about a reliable vehicle worth the money? I either got a really good one, or Ford built these right.

Still going strong
By Sal

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the XLT on Nov 2007, it now has over 200,000 miles and still rides great, purchased in California and imported into Mexico, no major mechanical problems, in fact I just replaced the gas pump, it still had the original manufactured in 1997. Minor problems with the locks and one repair to the cooling system, other than that just the regular maintenance, around 320 miles per gas tank and engine is really strong, no problems with cold or hot weather. People where I live stops me and ask me if I sell it cause it stills looks really. I have the XLT 4 door and changed the gauges to the white ones from the sport myself. I love my truck !

Favorite Features

Style, really strong engine, fun to drive. Comfy on long drives.

Suggested Improvements

Better electrical locks, the driver side has being replaced twice and the passenger side once.

Excellence
By Musclecar169

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has been a very reliable vehicle. Has a 2 inch lift, Duel Thrush Tube Exhaust, and Cooper STT tires on it, as i go offroding/muddin with it a fair amount. Used as a daily driver. It is a great vehicle and has done everything iv wanted it to do. Iv only had to put new brakes, roters ect. on it, as you would any vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The only things that need improvement would be the hatch on back, rear wiper, and the rocker panels. The bottom of the back hatch is a bit rusty as are the rocker panels. The rear wiper doesnt work as well. I know of many Explorers that have this problem.

Runs Great but stuff breaks
By Jayne

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my car brand new,had to adjust to it rigid ride, its reliable the only things is stuff falls apart, my leather seat is ripped up, constant problems with sunroof, CD player broke, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, only driver can operate the windows, interior roof is falling other than that its totally reliable without problems as far as the motor goes.

Favorite Features

reliabilitly

Suggested Improvements

Improve on the interior components. i paid enough for the car the stuff should last.

1 GREAT SUV
By gene

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 45,000 miles. It now has 81K and have only replaced exhaust and 1 sensor. She still looks great and is parked out side here in the north east year round. Very Durable, and reliable! The 4.0 V6 is a great motor. I guess that is why they are still making it.

Favorite Features

Power everything, easy to drive, great visibility, great in the SNOW! 2 rows of ICE COLD A/C and HEAT! NICE BIG TIRES! Durable fabric interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better windshield wiper speeds.