1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
98 Explorer
By Blackhorse27 on 08/19/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Very relaible SUV. No major repairs in 11 years and 150,000+ miles. Some interior noise from frame stretching, flexing, but rare.

Pushed Limits
By DocBone on 08/11/09 18:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned my explorer for 2 years now and have not had to deal with any major problems. I did learn the hard way that the o-ring from the oil filter can occasionally get stuck and has to be peeled off. In the last 2 years I have managed to put on nearly 40K miles, between driving to and from school (about 150miles round trip)and pizza delivery. Slightly bothered by the less that stellar gas mileage, but on the highway I have gotten 20+ mpg a few times. Strongly recommend to anyone needs a decent amount of space in their car. Also, after surviving through 2 winters, I have no complaints, snow is not an issue. This car can easily modified without affecting its electrical system

Overall, reliable
By Mike13 on 07/29/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this truck for a few years and it has never given me any MAJOR problems. A small electrical problem with the drivers door lock and recently replaced the vent blower moter, but other than some small normal wear'n'tear repairs, it always gets me where I need to go. 189,000+ miles and running strong.

More reliable than my Lexus
By John on 06/30/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

Purchased used 75000 miles ago

Never again a Ford
By ccslye on 06/26/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

98 Ford Explorer engine disintegrated at 58000 miles because of a faulty cam tensioner. (A known 4.0 SOHC problem) New factory rebuilt engine installed at dealer. Over $6,000 new engine in dealer 4 times for squeaking and noise problems. 98 Ford Explorer engine disintegrated at 58000 miles because of a faulty cam tensioner. (A known 4.0 SOHC problem) New factory rebuilt engine installed at dealer. Over $6,000 new engine in dealer 4 times for squeaking and noise problems. Changed various parts now I find out engine thrust bearing is what was squeaking and after it failed squeaking stopped. 6 months of problem solving did not even look at bearing problem. Engine is destroyed at 13,000 mls

Good car if maintained
By Welderman on 06/19/09 04:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

The Eddie Bauer AWD Explorer is a reliable car if properly maintained. I have never had problems with the drive train or engine (88,000 miles). It gets an honest 18.7 mpg at 55-65mph and the car is over 10 years old. My major maintenance was replacing rusted brake lines and rear brakes when they failed from corrosion. I'm big so I find it very comfortable, especially the leather bucket seats as do passengers in the back seats. The A/C is used a lot in the South and it works great. Change the oil every 5000 miles and change the transmission oil every 50,000 miles. Flush the radiator out when you change the transmission oil and it will last a long time. Built Ford tough.

Great Car
By Ellen on 06/17/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car last year, It had a bad AC when I bought it & I knew this. It only cost me $500 to repair & I have had no problems since. It has gotten me everywhere I go & the AC blows really cold now. I really like all the features it has. I just wish it had a better MPG. Only other problem is the keyless entry sometimes works & sometimes doesn't. Great Car!

Ford Quality not too shabby
By Andy on 05/20/09 12:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords all of my life. This was our first and only SUV purchase. We bought it new and have only had to make routine maintenance repairs mostly. I did recently repair the door latch on the driver's side, but other than that it has been batteries, tires, brakes, and so far no tune-up. I will complain about two items: the stereo display and the rough ride. The display on the stereo went out right after the warranty ended and I know this has happened on many other fords. The ride is very rough, but maybe I just need to break down a buy new shocks. We have owned a Honda and a Saturn, both of which lost their transmissions at 80K miles, so I feel the explorer was a good choice for us.

What else could go wrong?
By SLEEK_CHEETAH on 05/16/09 01:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

From 2002 on up. The radiator blew up at least three times a year and the transmission went out at least once a year. The engine blew once and the battery melted once. There were check engine lights left and right. The dash went out a few times taking the headlights with it. The doors kept sticking and wouldn't open from the inside until the handles finally broke off. A few doors wouldn't open at all. I just kept fixing it all and kept saying I loved the car, now I admit I spent way too much just trying to keep it running. I spent 13,000 just buying the car, and I spent 8,000 or more just to keep it running. NOT WORTH IT!!!

Good so far
By Midwest on 02/24/09 14:06 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this from a credit union (repo) and have been having fun. Have done a lot of maintenance that you would expect at 125,000 miles. Shocks, water pump, tires, ball joints, etc. Now that it has what it needed, I would drive it cross country with no hesitation. It's good for it's age. Awesome in snow!