Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
1 GREAT SUV
By gene

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 45,000 miles. It now has 81K and have only replaced exhaust and 1 sensor. She still looks great and is parked out side here in the north east year round. Very Durable, and reliable! The 4.0 V6 is a great motor. I guess that is why they are still making it.

Favorite Features

Power everything, easy to drive, great visibility, great in the SNOW! 2 rows of ICE COLD A/C and HEAT! NICE BIG TIRES! Durable fabric interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better windshield wiper speeds.

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!
By Tina

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my explorer brand new when my 2nd son was born and still have it today! My son is now 13 yrs old. I feel safe sitting up high. It has never left me sitting. I have four wheel drive but hardly ever have to use it. I have a hill to go up to get out of my neighborhood. When it snows, most vehicles can not get over that hill but my explorer goes right up the snow covered hill. I will buy another Explorer when I'm ready for another vehicle.

Favorite Features

tilted steering wheel

Hated to Get Rid of It, but...
By car314

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT brand new from the dealer, and it gave me many good years. About 3 years ago, though, it began giving me issues. I ended up consistently putting money into it nearly every month. Honestly, the body began to go before the engine did... but once the little things started going wrong, it added up very quickly. The last thing to happen was a cracked thermostat housing, once I fixed that, I sold the truck. I really loved my Explorer, would recommend one, and bought a new one after selling my 1998. It did have awful gas mileage, my 2009 gets better mileage than my 1998 ever did.

Runs Great but stuff breaks
By Jayne

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my car brand new,had to adjust to it rigid ride, its reliable the only things is stuff falls apart, my leather seat is ripped up, constant problems with sunroof, CD player broke, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, only driver can operate the windows, interior roof is falling other than that its totally reliable without problems as far as the motor goes.

Favorite Features

reliabilitly

Suggested Improvements

Improve on the interior components. i paid enough for the car the stuff should last.

LOVE my Red Pig
By 3chooks

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Explorer "used" in '99, with only 1300 miles on it. I truly lucked out! I bought it to pull my new Danish horse trailer (Brenderup) and as my commuting vehicle, which is why my wonderful Red Pig now has about 264K miles on it. ["Red Pig"? so named the first time I filled it up, having traded in a '96 Honda Civic coupe in the transaction]. It was my commuting vehicle as well as my trailer-puller until 6 years ago. Before the Pig was semi-retired, I was putting a good 22K miles on it per year; after, less than 3000 I am only now thinking it's time to find a successor for my beloved Pig. Very reluctantly, because I don't think anything made more recently will measure up

Favorite Features

reliability! maybe it was just a good day at the factory, but my Pig has been a real trouper. It doesn't owe me a thing. I just wish I could keep it for another 17 years!

Suggested Improvements

really? for a 17 year old truck-based SUV that has been absolutely more than adequate for its job? Nope. My Red Pig is perfect. Or would be, if I could remove some years' worth of wear & tear and the effects of the salt that my State sprays on roads in the winter.