1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Still going strong
By Sal on 05/29/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the XLT on Nov 2007, it now has over 200,000 miles and still rides great, purchased in California and imported into Mexico, no major mechanical problems, in fact I just replaced the gas pump, it still had the original manufactured in 1997. Minor problems with the locks and one repair to the cooling system, other than that just the regular maintenance, around 320 miles per gas tank and engine is really strong, no problems with cold or hot weather. People where I live stops me and ask me if I sell it cause it stills looks really. I have the XLT 4 door and changed the gauges to the white ones from the sport myself. I love my truck !

Excellence
By Musclecar169 on 04/25/10 16:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has been a very reliable vehicle. Has a 2 inch lift, Duel Thrush Tube Exhaust, and Cooper STT tires on it, as i go offroding/muddin with it a fair amount. Used as a daily driver. It is a great vehicle and has done everything iv wanted it to do. Iv only had to put new brakes, roters ect. on it, as you would any vehicle.

Runs Great but stuff breaks
By Jayne on 02/15/10 16:45 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my car brand new,had to adjust to it rigid ride, its reliable the only things is stuff falls apart, my leather seat is ripped up, constant problems with sunroof, CD player broke, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, only driver can operate the windows, interior roof is falling other than that its totally reliable without problems as far as the motor goes.

1 GREAT SUV
By gene on 01/09/10 05:36 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 45,000 miles. It now has 81K and have only replaced exhaust and 1 sensor. She still looks great and is parked out side here in the north east year round. Very Durable, and reliable! The 4.0 V6 is a great motor. I guess that is why they are still making it.

Good solid SUV
By Katie on 01/08/10 16:50 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car from the original owner 5.5 years ago when it already had 98000 miles on it. It is now at 238,000 and has never had any major problems. The only time it left me stranded was when the battery was long overdue to be replaced. We plan on replacing it soon with a newer model of the same thing. Can't say enough good things about this truck, it has been a great family car, reliable, fantastic in the snow and off road, and very forgiving of our lax maintenance of it. Hoping to upgrade with a new one with third row seats. Love this car!

Ford tough for me
By derekt98xl on 11/07/09 01:55 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I was always a Honda Toyota guy. Then I bought the explorer and has been very reliable. Just maintanence, and I believe that is the key with any car. Some people get angry if their ball joints or suspension parts fail but you have to consider they are a part of regular maintanence. In the past I bought a couple Honda's that had everything wrong with them a week after the purchase simply because of lack of maintanence. So from now on I only buy cars with maintanence reports. Which makes sense if someone goes to the trouble of keeping all those records they must have taken good care of the vehicle. Most of the time those are the vehicles with Nice and clean interiors.

Still going strong
By MSH on 09/22/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my explorer new and now have about 120k miles on it. It has had its share of maintenance issues (radio display, back windshield wiper, fuel pumpx2, belts, sensors, minor suspension issues, etc) but overall it has been pretty reliable. I perform scheduled maintenance regularly and don't worry about random breakdowns or taking on long trips. Both the interior and the exterior have held up well and (IMHO) still look good. Overall, the value of the car to me far exceeds its blue book price.

WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!
By g8torgirl on 09/17/09 14:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm the original owner and primary driver-it's been flawless other than a new A/C in 2003 ($750). Live in FL, but have driven it often to/from/in NC mountains and it was great w/the manual transmission, made it tons o' fun. Decent mileage for an SUV (22/19 mpg). Oil is changed every 3,000 mi. Had 3 sets of tires-Goodrich lasts longest-Goodyear the least and the most flats (too soft). Replaced one out of round wheel ($450) under warranty. Minor leaks in back fixed windows. No rollovers (driver error in my opinion & I'm a woman). Exterior finish and wheels are still shiny (we wax). Bought vinyl liner for cargo area and excellent mats--a great investment. My previous vehicle? Manual'88 BroncoII

No complaints
By NAD on 08/26/09 00:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new now has 126K miles. Original tran. replaced under warranty at 35k miles. Since then its been a pretty good vehicle. Very capable off-road vehicle. Still has original fact. wheel alignment! Does not come close to overheating in the most extreme conditions even when towing. Since resale value seems to be so low suspect I'll drive it till it drops

Explorer in the UK
By Jim on 08/24/09 04:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Explorer for over 3 years with no major issues. Failed its last MOT on rotten rear hangers, a ball joint and a hole in the exhaust. Not bad for a vehicle that now spends half its life on the beach and in the sea!! Reasonably comfortable but extremely practical. There is no other vehicle (maybe the Toyota Landcruiser) that can match its size for such little money. 20-22 mpg is easily achievable which is just as good as most 4x4 diesels. Pulls like David Beckham at an all girls school. Very solid and very reliable.