1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Nice SUV - Needs some improvement
By mike0202 on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My two biggest complaints is the fuel economy (typical of all SUV's, and some mechanical issues. I do allot of driving, however I wish there was a diesel model available! Regarding the maintenance. Absolutely get an extended service plan. It is worth every penny. My Explorer has 50,000 miles on it...and approximately $2,000 worth of mechanical issues have had to be contended with. Maintenance is to be expected from a used car. However, I am thankful that the repairs have been on 'their dime' and not mine. Buy this car if you can get all the maintnence records to ensure that the major stuff has been repaired or get an extended service plan.

Will never buy another Ford.
By kgd102 on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Ford Explorer is the biggest piece of crap on the road. I baby the thing too but it just has problems go wrong with it left and right. The Ford service is even worse than the Ford vehicle itself. For that I'd rather walk than ever buy another Ford.

Fun but Noisy
By Blanston12 on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Good performance, comfortable to ride, very stable but corners slopy, interior noisy at freeway speed. Have had some problems under fixed under warrenty, rear wiper (x2), Transmission, gas tank sensor. It performed well but not sure I would buy another.

Disposable Vehicle
By Robert Copeland on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

At 100,000 the transmission in this vehicle was ruined requiring a remanufactured one at 2,900.00 (including the towing). This vehicle has had all maintenance performed at the designated intervals. Immediately after purchase the transmission dumped its fluid requiring repair by the dealer. After the repair the following day it dumped its transmission fluid again. I have contacted Ford customer relations regarding the failure of the transmission and the fact that the early problems caused the later failure. I have found no one at Ford concerned enough to research my claim. Apparently it is normal for the transmission to go out at 100,000miles.

Great Car, Great Value
By Chris 2 on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Eddie Bauer new back in 1998 over an XLT Explorer. The body styling on the Eddie Bauer is 10 times better than the XLT. I rarely see another Eddie Bauer on the road. I used to have concerns about reliability of American cars but my Explorer has never given me any problems whatsoever. There were some annoying recalls but nothing critical. Its super cheap to maintain and I love the acceleration. Sure it won't beat a Ferrari, but it's fast for a car its size. I absolutly love this car except for a few things such as the gas mileage, handling on corners, and seating capacity. But overall, its a great car.

Poor reliability
By wind on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Within three months of ownership, I had a lot of engine problems! I wasted a lot of my time, as well as money sending my truck to the repair shop for expensive mechanical problems. The customer service complaint line was a waste of time. The trade value for this vehicle is another sad issue. If I want to trade my vehicle , I will lose 3,000 from the blue book value! I will never buy another FORD!

Never Again
By Jram on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

After having many problems with a 97 Explorer, we decided to trade it in and try again. We have had a host of problems from rear wiper motor malfunction (2x), rattle that the dealership still can't find, and a host of electrical problems from dash board lights that go on and off, check engine light that stays on, O/D off light that comes on at any time and the radio/cd lights that have not worked for almost 2 yrs. Dealership and service has been horrible and useless and drove me off the road when they did not fix my brakes properly and they did not work on Interstate 85 in Norht Atlanta, not the place to not have brakes. My Dad was a Chevy man and now I know why.

I Love this SUV!!!
By Jill in Va Beach on 03/17/02 09:49 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would still keep this SUV. It is wonderful, very reliable, very sporty, and able to haul whatever I need. Fuel economy is a little less than average, but the Explorer makes up for that in several other positives. Someone that is very tall or has a family, would probably not be comfortable in the 2 dr. sport model.

Not Bad
By Doug in Chicago on 03/10/02 07:56 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

All in all has been good vehicle. Early rash of irritating recall items. Ride is stiff and truck like. Engine is plenty powerful (V-6) with good acceleration and passing. Good choice but not if your looking for smooth ride.

98 XLT 130k
By moviper on 03/05/02 13:59 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is our third Explorer. I just love them. This one has 130,000 miles on it but it run and looks great. I wish I had gotten the V8 this time but only because I tow a trailer. I have put a air bag module on it and a Clutch fan. Other than that and some new tires it always goes.