Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Not worth the high sticker price
By sangelaspop

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had alot of minor problems overs the years,especially the wheel area. Have problems with tire inside/outside tire wear. Have had two alignments, shocks all the way around,problems with led on radio/CD player, etc... Not too bad I guess, considering the amount of miles driven. But it nickles & dimes you. Probably the worst Ford I've ever owned. Miss my SHO!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive came in handy a couple of times. Alot of room in back for carrying things.

Suggested Improvements

Need milage improvement, better design on front ends wouldn't hurt. Was told that was a major problem with those models.

Like it but not sure I'll buy another
By Jalbs

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I teh SUV used with 58,000 miles on it. I had to replace the breaks and rotars at 65K, replace the original battery at 75K and at 80K I needed new ball joints. The stereo system is junk. The CD player shorted out 5 months after I bought it and there is a loose connection some where in the wire running to the rear speakers which causes them work about 25% of the time. I have driven it about 400 mile from Boston to Rochester, NY about 10 times now (3 times with a full cargo bed) and and very pleased with the truck. I'm just worried to see what is going to go wrong in another 10,000 miles.

Favorite Features

on the fly 4WD, good amount of cargo space, looks great, turning radius is phenominal

Suggested Improvements

get a stereo system that works, fix your problems with the ball joints (it seems to be a trend on all of your trucks)

This is my last Ford..
By drifter

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I don't know where to start.With 68K miles engine died (chain tensioner failed),paint is allready chipped and faded,running boards are all rusty,hood lootch broke off recently, drivers seat frame and seat latch broken too,rear differential makes horrible hissing sound,front bearings and ball joints failed also,radio LED is blinking all the time,one of the control panel lights died,check engine light coming on and off constantly,had to replace lower and upper intake gaskets and idle motor(engine wouldn't start in cold weather,faulty headlights switch,terrible gas mileage and the list goes on and on...This is my lesson, last Ford EVER.

Suggested Improvements

People at Ford should really stop designing junk and pay more attention to quality.

98 xlt review (SOHC - 6cyl)
By jaason

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought the car new. Itís a good reliable vehicle, especially considering the features and 4 wheel drive components. The car handles well in high winds, up hills, and fully loaded. The cargo compartment is spacious, enough for 4 people for a week of camping. The Explorer, for me, is the right size for most all situations, easy to handle, and well built enough for off-road use. Easily handles the worst weather.

Favorite Features

Adequate power on and off-road. It's a pleasure to drive because of the short turning radius and because of the rapid acceleration when needed thanks to the 5 speed automatic. Very reliable, but requres regular care and feeding.

Suggested Improvements

Increase clearance. All competitors have 7.5-9.5 inches. Spare tire is not easy to remove with a flat rear tire, especially off road. Independent 4-wheel ABS may be desirable instead of the current 3-way system.

One Diehard SUV
By TheBrain

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have had this SUV for 26 months and love it! Plenty of power out of the engine and the 4x4 has gotten me (into and) out of many muddy situations. Drives like a car and sits like a truck. I spend a lot of time in this toy and the seats are holding up quite nicely.

Favorite Features

4x4, power seats, lots of cargo room, auto-on headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror, durable leather seats

Suggested Improvements

Remove the baffle from the airbox and gain noticable power and 1-2mpg. Blistein shocks make for a better off road experience.