1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Decent SUV
By emvikings on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv to use the 4 wheel drive. I ski a lot and it has been fairly reliable. I have had to replace the tires as you all know (firestone). The part on the vehicle that I have had problems with is the paint. My whole hood has little cracks in it. I probably won't buy another explorer.

Solid, safe, reliable
By Mark Flannery on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've no problems with my Explorer. I drove it for four years before turning it over to my teenage daughter for her first car because it is so solid, safe and reliable.

They Can't Get This Car Right
By MDWong on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle in thinking that this could be a reliable car that would last for years. I was wrong. There is always something wrong with my Explorer from the radio to the continouous motor noise and don't forget the Firestones. On top of that they have recalled six items in my year. Ford has been making this car for several years and still can't get it right. The resale value plummets quickly thus making my car almost worthless at this time. The only Ford I will buy in the future is a 1968 Mustang.

Don't rollover
By matt0700 on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

While we have had no major problems with our Explorer, I am too concerned about the rollover issue and will not replace this vehicle with another Explorer.

Loved it at first............BUT
By Foxxii on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

When I first bought it, I really loved it. After a while, I wasn't so sure. With 3 children, it was very hard for them to enter and exit back seat. Not to mention the gas mileage stinks! I have recently looked into trading this vehicle and I must say that the trade in value of this SUV is very depressing. I will lose thousands of dollars. But it will be well worth it for me to get out of this thing! The ride is terrible. Feels like you're driving a truck! A/C doesn't work very well in extreme heat either. My overall rating of this vehicle is VERY POOR. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the rear window, where you open the back is leaking also.

Great Vehicle
By D. Crawford on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Second Explorer we've owned. Love both of them. The Exporer Sport is very stable. I got it sliding completely sideways on ice on the interstate at about 65 mph, slid onto gravel shoulder and pulled right out of it. We have 4.10 gears for pulling a small camper so mileage isn't the best but I'm impressed with the V6 power. More room than a Cherokee or Blazer. No design problems and is well built. Will buy a third.

reliable recreational vehicle
By wild rose native on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the truck for about two years now and it has performed according to my expectations. It has ample power to tow a travel trailer weighing 4500 pound. Around the city, this Explorer is fun to drive. Other than the LED display disappearing on the combo cd/cassette player and the annoying engine light turning on for no reason, I have had no troubles with this truck. I am crossing my fingers hoping that I can avoid the problems that other owners have had.

Good results
By Clay Prentiss on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned an explorer for two years after buying it used. It has been a great vechile with good power, functional, roomy and no repair costs. I maintain the vechile with regular oil changes and the performance has been much better than my friends with Jeeps and Jimmy/Blazers.

Nightmare on Ford street!
By Chiefd54 on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Many problems, many recalls! Less than six months after I purchased, one of the plug wires went out. I had 3 recalls in the first year. Right front bearing and trunion went out at 3 1/2 years, air conditioning control door went out a month later. And the last straw was replacing all of the spark plug wires one month after the a/c problem developed. The ride is very stiff. Sounds and rides like a truck (Ok its an SUV). Get the extended warranty you will need it!

Ford Forgets About Quality
By SLP on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

A very nice looking vehical with good accerlation. Ok milage on highway but could use some improvment around town. Dealer mechs need better training. (had to tell them how to fix problems, they did not look very hard for known problems) Simple items like wiper pivots and motors, door locks, radio controls, etc. have had to be replaced soon after purchase. All has worked well since! Ford needs to pay more attention at the vehical factory.