1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Will Never buy a Ford again
By Disatisfied Explorer on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned my Explorer for 5 years; it only has 61K miles. In the past year I have spent $4,000 in repair bills that were not covered by warranty They include replacing the following (1) the front drive shaft; (2) the air ride control module, not to mention the 4 times I took it to the dealer because the warning light kept coming back on; (3) a front shock; (4) the O2 sensor; (5) the solenoid; (6) the rear pinion, axle and carrier bearings; and (7) the rear pinion seal,twice. This is worst vehicle I have ever owned!

absolutely outstanding
By Matt Morman on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

very conistant, smooth driving

Never Again!
By K.hashad it! on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Once heard that Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. Now I believe it. I have just over 40,000 miles on my car, and have just been told that I need $2000 engine repair. With the innumerable recalls, the constantly broken power locks, the ride that feels like they left the shocks off, the horrible gas mileage, the noisy engine, company unresponsive to complaints/concerns...I could go on. You get the idea. I'll never patronize Ford again.

Devoted Explorer owner
By Jeagi on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is my third Explorer and we love it! I have owned a 1992 and 1996 XLT with the V6 and have only had a few minor problems in ten years. This is my first V8 and I really like the extra torque. Anyone who buys a V8 should know the gas mileage will not be spectacular, I am pleased with the mileage I have gotten. The Explorer has a feeling of quality and safety that I will come back to again and again.

Great Car/Cosmetic Problems
By Mr. Brown on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my Eddie Bauer Explorer for 1 year now. Overall, I like it b/c I was driving a little girly car. I Like the look, power, the computer, stereo system, cd changer, space, all bells and whistle options. Dislikes are constant rattling and engine noise. Its a rather rough ride, but what do you expect from an SUV/Truck.

Mixed Emptions
By GregFordExpSport on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Always wanted an SUV and loved the look of the 2-Door Ford Explorer Sport. I purchased a 1998 program vehicle in Jan, 2000. I've had the heating/AC "arm assembly" replaced. I've had 3 sets of brake pads (all around) replaced this year alone. The radio LED is beginning to fade in and out. I had to replace the EGER valve...woke up one morning and the darn thing wouldn't turn over! Fog lights simply will not work for very long before having to replace. Extremely rough ride, gas mileage is horrible. Would I buy another Explorer? I don't think so.

pretty happy
By ronnieleg on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

very trucklike, but if i wanted a wussy car-like truck, i'd have bought a pathfinder. V8 is great for towing heavy weight buy mileage is abysmal. that's the trade-off. cant have everything in life.

Quality is Job # 1,000,000,000,000
By GHOST88 on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my ‘98"Exploder" brand new. Every time I took my car into the dealer to be serviced they would inform me of 10+items that were recalled each time! Now,one thing after another wrong w/the car. New tranny, radio display shorted out, rear window washer doesn’t work in rain, the list goes on and on. Ford's quality, customer service and products have gone downhill big time. The resale/trade-in value is HORRIBLE! My romance w/this Explorer is in its twilight. Today, I am going to trade it in for a TOYOTA LAND CRUISER! I will miss her but, it is time to move on to the big leagues.

Good truck
By Paul Piellusch on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Good truck no maintenance 70K kilometres

Love that power
By IK on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

AWD, V8, 3.73 limited slip differential. Only 16 MPG, but it takes off like a sports car! Leak from the front differential had to be repaired twice (at no cost to me). I replaced a bad plug wire a couple weeks later. Front half-shaft seals squeal for the first couple miles in cold weather, and need to be replaced. Bent rear wiper arm. This sums all its troubles for the 2-1/2 years and 27,000 miles of my ownership. A recent ear-ended accident resulted in just a slightly dented and misadjusted bumper. Yes, it lost almost half of its trade- in value since I bought it, but who cares - it's not for sale anytime soon.