1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Excellant value
By Rick A. on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This suv has been dependable and faithful. Whatever the need, it gets the job done. Pulls boats, loads furniture, toats Christmas trees, carries 5 people. Never a moan or groan. No breakdowns, no extra expenses, just loyal. Very satisfied with this EXPLORER. AWD has been maintenance free. Excellant safety during inclimate weather.

FORD NEVER AGAIN
By Priest Miles on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

98 ford explorer sport bought it with 22K miles after 3 years nearly $5K plus in dealer maintainence charges and 5 months after a complete tune-up at Merchants the car needs a new engine at 83K miles. Yeap never going near a FORD EVER again

Great
By Tana on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

It is great. it was so much fun to drive.it is worth the money!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to add
By ponygirl on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This SUV stinks! The LED lights on steering wheel, CD/stereo player crap out and will fade in and out on occasion. The auto door locks will not unlock, even when I try to unlock the doors with the key so must climb thru the back hatch to unlock the truck! Gas mileage sucks..Transmission is starting to go, too (have 55,000 miles on 1998). This SUV stinks, would never buy another one.

Explorer Sport
By qtrhorsegal on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

After owning my 1998 Explorer Sport for a year I am looking forward to trading it in. The vehicle handles poorly! Feeling as if you're going to tip at 40mph is not a good feeling. The V-6 engine has good pickup but the gas mileage is awful! As far as design goes, the Explorer Sport is pleasing to look at but lacks in interior design and comfort. It has good storage capacity. To sum it up, the Explorer Sport is nothing more then a Ford Ranger with a topper and I won't miss mine when it's gone.

JUST LOVE MY EXPLORER!
By NMCCOMB on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

OWNING THE EB EXPLORER HAS BEEN THE GREATEST EXPERIENCE IN VEHICLE OWNERSHIP. IT PRACTICALLY SPEAKS TO ME! I CAN BUS CHILDREN TO SCHOOL THEN LOAD UP THE BACK WITH FURNITURE, CHEERLEADING AND FOOTBALL EQUIPMENT. THE VERSITILITY OF THE VEHICLE IS INCREDIBLE. I COULD NEVER OWN A CAR AGAIN. MY NEXT VEHICLE WILL BE AN EB EXPLORER.

Tried and true
By TCap on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My 1998 Ford Explorer has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. I've averaged 19.8 MPG consistently in combined city / highway driving. At 127,000 miles it still has the original spark plugs and wires,I changed the serpentine belt at 110,000 miles even though it didn't need it and the battery at 97000. I replaced the brakes one time. After over 5 years on the road it passed its first smog check! The clear coat paint is as good as new (garage kept and detailed every 6 mos.) Towed a car trailer and car one time at freeway speeds and over the grapevine here in California, total trip time 4.5 hours not a single problem. Tough truck!

Sweet SUV
By Pencil on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My Eddie Bauer is sweet, great looks, great performance. I'm 18 so I do a little street racing, my 2 ton+ SUV can move from 0-60 in 7.5 seconds (K&N intake and Superchip of course with no spare tire). I beat a 5.2L Cherokee with my 4.0L Eddie and a V6 Camry w/ exhaust. Top speed is 115mph (scary as hell). I rolled my Eddie once when racing and honestly it saved my life (wearing a seatbelt) and it didn't cost too much to repair. So far no major problems mechanically, it has started everytime. The exterior is killer, two tone paint only avaliable on Eddie Bauers looks better than any other model. Overall I recommend this vehicle

I will never drive a regular car again!
By vcrawf1207 on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

If you tons of driving like I do,you will love the comfort,and ruggedness, however it does really use the gas! Very comfortableand reliable here where the snowloves to fall!

very good auto
By blevit on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

Have driven this auto 70,000 miles with little or no problems. I recommend this vehicle to anyone. Chuck