Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Start your Repair Fund Now
By Wulf

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We've had nothing but problems with this car. The electrical systems fail constantly. We've had problems with the lights, the brakes, the turn signals, the power doors, the transmission, and the gauges.

Favorite Features

The leather interior is nice. We live in the desert where temps can be 120, but the seats stay cool. The kids have their own A/C controls in the back, too. One-touch button rolls down the driver window, without holding it down - a nice feature at the drive-through.

Suggested Improvements

One-touch button to roll the window back up would be nice. Fix the electrical problems!

Great Vehicle
By JRR

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I was very hesitant buying an American made vehicle, but the Explorer has proven to be very reliable. It rides and handles decently for a truck-based vehicle, and is very quiet on the road.

Favorite Features

I think it's the perfect size; is very maneuverable in traffic, handles very well, and is quiet.

The original and maybe the best
By Wiredpair

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased my XLT AWD Explorer last year and so far, no complaints. The 5.0L 302CID is a tried and true motor and it doesn't disappoint here. I've found it be very responsive when needed and it certainly outperformed my '96 Grand Cherokee with 4.0 I-6 engine. The AWD drive system is engaged at all times and if you have previously driven rear drive vehicles, you'll notice this but quickly get used to it. The ride quality is smooth for a SUV and it also handles pretty well for a SUV. Styling is superior to the current styling IMHO, especially the chrome grille and bumpers. Fuel efficiency is as expected, I get around 19-20 MPG on the highway. I'd recommend this SVU if you are in the market.

Favorite Features

My particular Explorer comes with a V8, factory sunroof, CD changer, running boards, premium wheels, etc. These are my favorite features and that's why I bought it.

Suggested Improvements

All minor. Interior comfort is a little tight for 4 medium sized to large sized adults; if you need space, get an Expedition. The gearshift location in drive is not ideal as it interferes with the stereo. The rims I have are so hard to clean too! Not much else to complain about.

Great car, would definitely buy again
By JBoge

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Explorer Sport new and currently have 172,500 miles and counting. It has been a great car and virtually maintenance free. After 160,miles, I had to replace the brakes, front shocks and ball joints. Changed the shift motor twice and I have some rust on the rear bumper and running boards. Other than that, it is as good as the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

The 4.0 DOHC offers plenty of acceleration and driving enjoyment. Comfortable to drive and dependable in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

I noticed it is common for these to have some rust showing on the running boards.

Watch Out For The SOHC V-6
By Cibs

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Explorer used with 70k miles on it and thought what a great deal I got until I found out that FORD has had problems with the SOHC V-6. It seems so much that FORD upped the warranty to 6 years and 72k miles and unfortunately I am just over the miles and years for the warranty. The problems are with the intake gasket and the cam chain tensioners so look out if your Explorer is a 1997 to 1999 with the 4.0L SOHC V-6. Love this truck for everything else.

Favorite Features

Front and rear seat comfort and 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

FORD should further extend the warranty on the 4.0L V-6 SOHC engine.