Used 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Runs Great but stuff breaks
By Jayne

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my car brand new,had to adjust to it rigid ride, its reliable the only things is stuff falls apart, my leather seat is ripped up, constant problems with sunroof, CD player broke, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, only driver can operate the windows, interior roof is falling other than that its totally reliable without problems as far as the motor goes.

Favorite Features

reliabilitly

Suggested Improvements

Improve on the interior components. i paid enough for the car the stuff should last.

Great SUV
By gatormike

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This has been a great SUV for my family. The vehicle handles well and has excellent pick up. It has been very reliable. I must say, on the negative side, that the overhead instrument panel display lights went out and the moonroof frame came out, however it did not affect the operation. Those are about the only problems we have had and we have had the vehicle for 4 years. I put a captain's bed in the vehicle and I am amazed at the cargo capacity. I know the Explorers have a bad reputation for rolling so I am very careful but all in all I love the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Cargo space. Ease in putting seats down in rear. Easy handling.

Suggested Improvements

Improved gas mileage.

Start your Repair Fund Now
By Wulf

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We've had nothing but problems with this car. The electrical systems fail constantly. We've had problems with the lights, the brakes, the turn signals, the power doors, the transmission, and the gauges.

Favorite Features

The leather interior is nice. We live in the desert where temps can be 120, but the seats stay cool. The kids have their own A/C controls in the back, too. One-touch button rolls down the driver window, without holding it down - a nice feature at the drive-through.

Suggested Improvements

One-touch button to roll the window back up would be nice. Fix the electrical problems!

JUST LOVE MY EXPLORER!
By NMCCOMB

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

OWNING THE EB EXPLORER HAS BEEN THE GREATEST EXPERIENCE IN VEHICLE OWNERSHIP. IT PRACTICALLY SPEAKS TO ME! I CAN BUS CHILDREN TO SCHOOL THEN LOAD UP THE BACK WITH FURNITURE, CHEERLEADING AND FOOTBALL EQUIPMENT. THE VERSITILITY OF THE VEHICLE IS INCREDIBLE. I COULD NEVER OWN A CAR AGAIN. MY NEXT VEHICLE WILL BE AN EB EXPLORER.

Favorite Features

THE COMPUTER, DIMMING REARVEIW MIRROR, AND STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS OH YEA, THE BACK SEAT RADIO CONTROLS.