Used 1998 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I just LOVE my Explorer! Very Reliable!
By Yvonne

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This SUV I got as a baby shower gift. I have owned it since Febrary of 2014 right before I had my daughter. It has never left us stranded anywhere. This SUV is like a tank seriously! The only thing we had to do with it was get the transmission rebuilt which cited us $1,975.00 but it was worth it. I plan on getting it fully restored when I get my settlement. Maintenance is easy , we have always kept up with oil changes etc. the original owner that bought it brand new always got all of its maintenance done at the ford dealer she got it at! It was all written down in the maintenance schedule book with the owners manual she kept. The original owner also kept the factory window sticker in the owners manual! Neat! My explorer costed $42,000 new! Wow back in 1998!

Hated to Get Rid of It, but...
By car314

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT brand new from the dealer, and it gave me many good years. About 3 years ago, though, it began giving me issues. I ended up consistently putting money into it nearly every month. Honestly, the body began to go before the engine did... but once the little things started going wrong, it added up very quickly. The last thing to happen was a cracked thermostat housing, once I fixed that, I sold the truck.

I really loved my Explorer, would recommend one, and bought a new one after selling my 1998. It did have awful gas mileage, my 2009 gets better mileage than my 1998 ever did.

Still going strong
By Sal

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the XLT on Nov 2007, it now has over 200,000 miles and still rides great, purchased in California and imported into Mexico, no major mechanical problems, in fact I just replaced the gas pump, it still had the original manufactured in 1997. Minor problems with the locks and one repair to the cooling system, other than that just the regular maintenance, around 320 miles per gas tank and engine is really strong, no problems with cold or hot weather. People where I live stops me and ask me if I sell it cause it stills looks really. I have the XLT 4 door and changed the gauges to the white ones from the sport myself. I love my truck !

Style, really strong engine, fun to drive. Comfy on long drives.

Better electrical locks, the driver side has being replaced twice and the passenger side once.

Ford Quality not too shabby
By Andy

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords all of my life. This was our first and only SUV purchase. We bought it new and have only had to make routine maintenance repairs mostly. I did recently repair the door latch on the driver's side, but other than that it has been batteries, tires, brakes, and so far no tune-up. I will complain about two items: the stereo display and the rough ride. The display on the stereo went out right after the warranty ended and I know this has happened on many other fords. The ride is very rough, but maybe I just need to break down a buy new shocks. We have owned a Honda and a Saturn, both of which lost their transmissions at 80K miles, so I feel the explorer was a good choice for us.

Reliability, decent power for a V6, parts are cheaper than imports, nice family vehicle,

Constant repair needed
By silverbax

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought a '98 Ford, had a good vehicle history. Every time there was a little rattle or squeak, I'd take it in to try and maintain it. Bad thing: about 3-4 times a year something major happens. Fuel injector sticks and can't be fixed. A/C went out, antifreeze line ruptured, check engine comes on for no reason, and yesterday dash lights blinked out a couple of times. Sometimes parts just fall off - literally. Have to have it aligned about every six months. Spent over $3000 per year in repairs, and it still needs more work. Like the design, but I won't buy another one.

Good amount of room.