1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Hated to Get Rid of It, but...
By car314 on 01/10/13 06:58 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT brand new from the dealer, and it gave me many good years. About 3 years ago, though, it began giving me issues. I ended up consistently putting money into it nearly every month. Honestly, the body began to go before the engine did... but once the little things started going wrong, it added up very quickly. The last thing to happen was a cracked thermostat housing, once I fixed that, I sold the truck. I really loved my Explorer, would recommend one, and bought a new one after selling my 1998. It did have awful gas mileage, my 2009 gets better mileage than my 1998 ever did.

Still going strong
By Sal on 05/29/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the XLT on Nov 2007, it now has over 200,000 miles and still rides great, purchased in California and imported into Mexico, no major mechanical problems, in fact I just replaced the gas pump, it still had the original manufactured in 1997. Minor problems with the locks and one repair to the cooling system, other than that just the regular maintenance, around 320 miles per gas tank and engine is really strong, no problems with cold or hot weather. People where I live stops me and ask me if I sell it cause it stills looks really. I have the XLT 4 door and changed the gauges to the white ones from the sport myself. I love my truck !

Ford Quality not too shabby
By Andy on 05/20/09 12:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords all of my life. This was our first and only SUV purchase. We bought it new and have only had to make routine maintenance repairs mostly. I did recently repair the door latch on the driver's side, but other than that it has been batteries, tires, brakes, and so far no tune-up. I will complain about two items: the stereo display and the rough ride. The display on the stereo went out right after the warranty ended and I know this has happened on many other fords. The ride is very rough, but maybe I just need to break down a buy new shocks. We have owned a Honda and a Saturn, both of which lost their transmissions at 80K miles, so I feel the explorer was a good choice for us.

Constant repair needed
By silverbax on 11/20/06 06:30 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought a '98 Ford, had a good vehicle history. Every time there was a little rattle or squeak, I'd take it in to try and maintain it. Bad thing: about 3-4 times a year something major happens. Fuel injector sticks and can't be fixed. A/C went out, antifreeze line ruptured, check engine comes on for no reason, and yesterday dash lights blinked out a couple of times. Sometimes parts just fall off - literally. Have to have it aligned about every six months. Spent over $3000 per year in repairs, and it still needs more work. Like the design, but I won't buy another one.

Great Vehicle
By JRR on 06/09/05 12:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I was very hesitant buying an American made vehicle, but the Explorer has proven to be very reliable. It rides and handles decently for a truck-based vehicle, and is very quiet on the road.

Great for beginners
By Karen on 01/05/05 19:27 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car for myself and handed it over to my teenage daughter for her first car. We have had very little problems with the vehicle. She drives it all over to softball games. I would definitely buy another one.

gettin bags
By pimp matt on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

im gettin bags and paint and i have 18 in wheels fat system and exhaust

Will Buy Another
By Lake Diamond on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Driving experience and dependability has been very good. No serious mechanical problems. One irritant has been that the check engine light stays on and dealer or others cannot figure out what is cause. Sometimes it stays off for months then comes back on for no apparant reason. Use it in my Real Estate business and love the spacious interior.

1998 Explorer Woes
By smph50 on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Almost $4000 in dealer warranty work. Nothing major, just a lot of stuff that should not have broke. Rotors every 20000 miles. Three sets of ball joints. Two multifunction switches. Radio, 4wheel drive shift motor, intake manifold gaskets, AC, door locks, fog lamps, transmission gaskets, oil pan gaskets, rear axel seals and cables.

The Little Stuff
By scottygondo on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

2nd Explorer to have the rear wiper die, moldings loosen, CD player and disc changer blink at 50k. Ford says, "it is no longer under warranty". Shouldn't a stock stereo not start to loose it's lighted display at 30k? Dealer couldn't fix it without "sending it out" for a month and charging me. Shouldn't it be fixed, warranty or no warranty? No, go spend $300 at local Ford authorized service center to fix the player if you want it fast. I was told there it is a "common" problem. If so, recall the darn things! The rear wiper is just a joke. Nothing else needs to be said.