Used 1998 Ford Explorer XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Still truckin'
By mispinla

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

It's almost a year later since my last review. I have a true love hate realtionship with this car. I love its reliability but hate driving a ten year old car. Overall, I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I now have almost 170,000 miles on it and this year have only had to buy tires and an altenator besides the regular matinence of course. I drive about 40 miles to and from work M-F. Everything's working on the car right now and has all year. It still starts without applying gas and can keep up in the fast lane. Plan to keep it until the wheels roll off (I'd feel wasteful buying one if not necessary). At this rate I'll be driving it until I'm ready for retirement (in about 25 years!)

It's still running. Every feature still works. Comfortable ride. Plenty of room for cargo. I feel safe in it.

Better quality interior parts. Looks and feels cheap, yet has held up relatively well.

Got my Money's Worth
By mispinla

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

I bought my Ford in 2002 and have literally driven it high and low and everywhere in between. It has 155,000 miles on it and I've never been stranded on the side of the road, had to rent a car due to service/or repairs, nor had to repaint or wax my car. I'm sure it could use a good detail and wax job now, but I've gone as long as two months w/o washing it! Sure it drinks gas, it's a truck! It's also very comforatble and roomy. The only real complaint I have is I've had to replace the driver side and passenger rear door handles and the center console broke one day when my 200lb+ friend leaned a little too much on it as she climbed in, and sometimes wierd stuff happens w/ the electricity

It's roomy and comfortable and has proven very reliable and pretty durable. Decent sound system and good interior design.

Better door handles, fix the electrical system, and center console design.

Explorer reliable and functional
By Jerry G

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

My Explorer has been a reliable car. A few things needed replacing (window motor & an engine part or two, but nothing major). Overall I have been very pleased with the XL. The size is great and the mileage isn't bad for an SUV - low 20s on the highway. About 17 in the city. It rides a bit like a truck - because, well it's a truck essentially. It starts easily and starts smoothly every time. Some rate the Explorer a bit lower, but I've had no major problems. It has been a good vehicle.

Best item: Reliable. Also, the size is really handy for hauling, etc.

Stiff ride, but I understand that has been improved on later models.

very good auto
By blevit

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

Have driven this auto 70,000 miles with little or no problems. I recommend this vehicle to anyone. Chuck

Eh...
By NeedTeddy

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

I have about 39,000 miles on my Ford Explorer. Got it for around $22k brand new. I don't drive it often for the gas mileage reasons but when I first got it I was ecstatic. However, I wish I have the new 2002 version now. I haven't hit the mileage that most of the people are experiencing problems but I know it's inevitable. Supposely the "better" Explorers become Mercury Mountaineers while the crummy ones remain Ford Explorers.

Well, mines wasn't loaded but... I like the foldable back row seat. The seats are pretty comfortable. Sound system isn't bad.

Smoother ride. I hear that you can replace the shocks on the explorer with Edsel something ones that dramatically improve handling. I also hear that with the stock shocks, going off-road will damage your vehicle. This vehicle really needs a third row seat.