1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1998 Explorer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Loved My Explorer
By Angela

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for nearly 10 years. I bought it used and have virtually put very little money into it except for usual wear and tear. This is a great family vehicle it is great when you need to carry large loads. This is a vehicle I will recommend to anyone. If you keep up with regular maintenance you will have a great vehicle for years to come. Snow is no match for this truck nothing stands in it's way. I am giving it to my nephew so that he will have a vehicle he can rely on while he is just starting out and I am sure it will last him until he gets on his feet just as it has for me and my family.

Favorite Features

This is very comfortable, Strong and tough. No snow can stop this vehicle and I felt safe no matter what the weather!

Suggested Improvements

I would like the floor under rear seats to be rubber or easier to clean with kids.

Excellence
By Musclecar169

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has been a very reliable vehicle. Has a 2 inch lift, Duel Thrush Tube Exhaust, and Cooper STT tires on it, as i go offroding/muddin with it a fair amount. Used as a daily driver. It is a great vehicle and has done everything iv wanted it to do. Iv only had to put new brakes, roters ect. on it, as you would any vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The only things that need improvement would be the hatch on back, rear wiper, and the rocker panels. The bottom of the back hatch is a bit rusty as are the rocker panels. The rear wiper doesnt work as well. I know of many Explorers that have this problem.

WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!
By g8torgirl

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm the original owner and primary driver-it's been flawless other than a new A/C in 2003 ($750). Live in FL, but have driven it often to/from/in NC mountains and it was great w/the manual transmission, made it tons o' fun. Decent mileage for an SUV (22/19 mpg). Oil is changed every 3,000 mi. Had 3 sets of tires-Goodrich lasts longest-Goodyear the least and the most flats (too soft). Replaced one out of round wheel ($450) under warranty. Minor leaks in back fixed windows. No rollovers (driver error in my opinion & I'm a woman). Exterior finish and wheels are still shiny (we wax). Bought vinyl liner for cargo area and excellent mats--a great investment. My previous vehicle? Manual'88 BroncoII

Favorite Features

I adore the manual transmission, love the quickness/spunkiness. Handling is excellent no matter what others say. Extremely comfy on a long trip w/cloth seats and factory tinted windows. Cargo area and privacy cover great for shopping. I love everything about it, except that it's 11 years old!

Suggested Improvements

I don't think they make the Sport anymore, but I'd like a smaller, fatter steering wheel for better control. Every vehicle needs CD, not tape players! Better window seals to prevent leakage, but, it is older!

98 Exprorer Sport
By DaveP

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought new, and have had no significant problems after 10 years and 90000 miles. Gas mileage averages 20 overall, with about 22 on the hwy. Very comfortable for long trips.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is very good for an SUV. Seating comfort, and view of the road are good. Lack of mechanical problems also.

Suggested Improvements

Ride is very stiff and rough on bad roads.

wow
By THEMAN

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought a 98 explore sport with 98,000 miles so i know it would have some wear and tear but not like this. The jirst month i had it the trans went then the U joiints. I got them fixed then the rear went and to top it off i only was getting 16 miles to the gallon

98 2dr sport 5 speed 2WD
By hawc

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Purchased from a family member two years ago. I've had to replace ABS speed sensor and both 02 sensors (FYI: if your ABS light is on in your Explorer then it's about a 90% chance you just need a very inexpensive speed sensor which can be replaced in under fifteen minutes). The car has otherwise been reliable. Ride quality and handling are decent. Performance is lacking in the OHV 4.0 liter especially from a standing start. It's a lot of heft to get rolling afterall. Once your up to speed, performance is actually quite decent.

Favorite Features

Nice styling. Has the looks of a 4WD model. Durability of the OHV V6. 4 wheel disc brakes. 16" alloy wheels. The ease of folding down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest broke prematurely. Manual transmission gearing is off. Radio display is out (another common problem) Rear wiper could be improved.

50/50
By Twinklesparkle002

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm 50/50 on the good and the bad, but I guess for the price, that it is good. I love how it takes corners, but I hate having to fight the locks while holding a baby. Car seats do not fit in the back seats unless you want your chair kicked or hugging the dash. But I love how it gets up and goes.

Favorite Features

Power windows, ac/heater, v6, great handling, and small for a SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Control panel lights, radio led, check engine light (fuse?), rear wiper, no car seat room, transmission, and door locks.

it's a truck after all...
By ol_man_ed

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

i hear a lot of complaints about the gas mileage, just remember before you complain, that it is a truck after all. If you want gas mileage one should buy a Civic or some lil car like that. Rear wiper kinda stinks though, it only actually wipes about 20% of the back glass. Can't really say much bad stuff though, it's fun to drive, and a SUV with a standard tranny (i love it). All in all it's a good truck, just don't expect to go without spending some money on gas, like you would with a lil four banger.

Favorite Features

Stick shift, 2 door, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear wiper.

This is my last Ford..
By drifter

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I don't know where to start.With 68K miles engine died (chain tensioner failed),paint is allready chipped and faded,running boards are all rusty,hood lootch broke off recently, drivers seat frame and seat latch broken too,rear differential makes horrible hissing sound,front bearings and ball joints failed also,radio LED is blinking all the time,one of the control panel lights died,check engine light coming on and off constantly,had to replace lower and upper intake gaskets and idle motor(engine wouldn't start in cold weather,faulty headlights switch,terrible gas mileage and the list goes on and on...This is my lesson, last Ford EVER.

Suggested Improvements

People at Ford should really stop designing junk and pay more attention to quality.

I like it at 98k
By DJ Soulseeka

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have had this Sport for a few months. It's quiet powerful handles well regardless of what anyone else says. I've been driving full blown Nascar racecars so I know handling. Corners well for a short wheel-based truck. No fluid leaks at all, mileage 22 mpg on the road, a/c and heat will run you out. The rear wiper is almost useless unless you bend it towards the glass to get more contact. Overall I know this a GREAT value. If you don't need the four door don't get it. You still get a lot of truck and cargo area, not to metion lighter, so better mileage and cost less. Most of all DON'T get the 4.0 SOHC if at all possible.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4.0, smooth 5 speed, great seats, quiet, roomy interior, great power assist steering, big rear-view mirrors, fast power windows.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic tranny, rear wiper (done on newer body styles), the vibrating idle, bring back the Sport... a true Sport. Lowered, exhaust, big tire package, ya know.