Used 1998 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Loved My Explorer
By Angela

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for nearly 10 years. I bought it used and have virtually put very little money into it except for usual wear and tear. This is a great family vehicle it is great when you need to carry large loads. This is a vehicle I will recommend to anyone. If you keep up with regular maintenance you will have a great vehicle for years to come. Snow is no match for this truck nothing stands in it's way. I am giving it to my nephew so that he will have a vehicle he can rely on while he is just starting out and I am sure it will last him until he gets on his feet just as it has for me and my family.

Favorite Features

This is very comfortable, Strong and tough. No snow can stop this vehicle and I felt safe no matter what the weather!

Suggested Improvements

I would like the floor under rear seats to be rubber or easier to clean with kids.

Excellence
By Musclecar169

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has been a very reliable vehicle. Has a 2 inch lift, Duel Thrush Tube Exhaust, and Cooper STT tires on it, as i go offroding/muddin with it a fair amount. Used as a daily driver. It is a great vehicle and has done everything iv wanted it to do. Iv only had to put new brakes, roters ect. on it, as you would any vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The only things that need improvement would be the hatch on back, rear wiper, and the rocker panels. The bottom of the back hatch is a bit rusty as are the rocker panels. The rear wiper doesnt work as well. I know of many Explorers that have this problem.

WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!
By g8torgirl

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm the original owner and primary driver-it's been flawless other than a new A/C in 2003 ($750). Live in FL, but have driven it often to/from/in NC mountains and it was great w/the manual transmission, made it tons o' fun. Decent mileage for an SUV (22/19 mpg). Oil is changed every 3,000 mi. Had 3 sets of tires-Goodrich lasts longest-Goodyear the least and the most flats (too soft). Replaced one out of round wheel ($450) under warranty. Minor leaks in back fixed windows. No rollovers (driver error in my opinion & I'm a woman). Exterior finish and wheels are still shiny (we wax). Bought vinyl liner for cargo area and excellent mats--a great investment. My previous vehicle? Manual'88 BroncoII

Favorite Features

I adore the manual transmission, love the quickness/spunkiness. Handling is excellent no matter what others say. Extremely comfy on a long trip w/cloth seats and factory tinted windows. Cargo area and privacy cover great for shopping. I love everything about it, except that it's 11 years old!

Suggested Improvements

I don't think they make the Sport anymore, but I'd like a smaller, fatter steering wheel for better control. Every vehicle needs CD, not tape players! Better window seals to prevent leakage, but, it is older!

98 Exprorer Sport
By DaveP

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought new, and have had no significant problems after 10 years and 90000 miles. Gas mileage averages 20 overall, with about 22 on the hwy. Very comfortable for long trips.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is very good for an SUV. Seating comfort, and view of the road are good. Lack of mechanical problems also.

Suggested Improvements

Ride is very stiff and rough on bad roads.

wow
By THEMAN

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought a 98 explore sport with 98,000 miles so i know it would have some wear and tear but not like this. The jirst month i had it the trans went then the U joiints. I got them fixed then the rear went and to top it off i only was getting 16 miles to the gallon