1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Loved My Explorer
By Angela on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for nearly 10 years. I bought it used and have virtually put very little money into it except for usual wear and tear. This is a great family vehicle it is great when you need to carry large loads. This is a vehicle I will recommend to anyone. If you keep up with regular maintenance you will have a great vehicle for years to come. Snow is no match for this truck nothing stands in it's way. I am giving it to my nephew so that he will have a vehicle he can rely on while he is just starting out and I am sure it will last him until he gets on his feet just as it has for me and my family.

Excellence
By Musclecar169 on 04/25/10 16:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has been a very reliable vehicle. Has a 2 inch lift, Duel Thrush Tube Exhaust, and Cooper STT tires on it, as i go offroding/muddin with it a fair amount. Used as a daily driver. It is a great vehicle and has done everything iv wanted it to do. Iv only had to put new brakes, roters ect. on it, as you would any vehicle.

WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT!
By g8torgirl on 09/17/09 14:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm the original owner and primary driver-it's been flawless other than a new A/C in 2003 ($750). Live in FL, but have driven it often to/from/in NC mountains and it was great w/the manual transmission, made it tons o' fun. Decent mileage for an SUV (22/19 mpg). Oil is changed every 3,000 mi. Had 3 sets of tires-Goodrich lasts longest-Goodyear the least and the most flats (too soft). Replaced one out of round wheel ($450) under warranty. Minor leaks in back fixed windows. No rollovers (driver error in my opinion & I'm a woman). Exterior finish and wheels are still shiny (we wax). Bought vinyl liner for cargo area and excellent mats--a great investment. My previous vehicle? Manual'88 BroncoII

98 Exprorer Sport
By DaveP on 02/15/08 12:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought new, and have had no significant problems after 10 years and 90000 miles. Gas mileage averages 20 overall, with about 22 on the hwy. Very comfortable for long trips.

wow
By THEMAN on 12/07/07 07:15 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought a 98 explore sport with 98,000 miles so i know it would have some wear and tear but not like this. The jirst month i had it the trans went then the U joiints. I got them fixed then the rear went and to top it off i only was getting 16 miles to the gallon

98 2dr sport 5 speed 2WD
By hawc on 11/05/07 23:41 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Purchased from a family member two years ago. I've had to replace ABS speed sensor and both 02 sensors (FYI: if your ABS light is on in your Explorer then it's about a 90% chance you just need a very inexpensive speed sensor which can be replaced in under fifteen minutes). The car has otherwise been reliable. Ride quality and handling are decent. Performance is lacking in the OHV 4.0 liter especially from a standing start. It's a lot of heft to get rolling afterall. Once your up to speed, performance is actually quite decent.

50/50
By Twinklesparkle002 on 03/01/07 12:57 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I'm 50/50 on the good and the bad, but I guess for the price, that it is good. I love how it takes corners, but I hate having to fight the locks while holding a baby. Car seats do not fit in the back seats unless you want your chair kicked or hugging the dash. But I love how it gets up and goes.

it's a truck after all...
By ol_man_ed on 12/22/05 14:31 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

i hear a lot of complaints about the gas mileage, just remember before you complain, that it is a truck after all. If you want gas mileage one should buy a Civic or some lil car like that. Rear wiper kinda stinks though, it only actually wipes about 20% of the back glass. Can't really say much bad stuff though, it's fun to drive, and a SUV with a standard tranny (i love it). All in all it's a good truck, just don't expect to go without spending some money on gas, like you would with a lil four banger.

This is my last Ford..
By drifter on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I don't know where to start.With 68K miles engine died (chain tensioner failed),paint is allready chipped and faded,running boards are all rusty,hood lootch broke off recently, drivers seat frame and seat latch broken too,rear differential makes horrible hissing sound,front bearings and ball joints failed also,radio LED is blinking all the time,one of the control panel lights died,check engine light coming on and off constantly,had to replace lower and upper intake gaskets and idle motor(engine wouldn't start in cold weather,faulty headlights switch,terrible gas mileage and the list goes on and on...This is my lesson, last Ford EVER.

I like it at 98k
By DJ Soulseeka on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have had this Sport for a few months. It's quiet powerful handles well regardless of what anyone else says. I've been driving full blown Nascar racecars so I know handling. Corners well for a short wheel-based truck. No fluid leaks at all, mileage 22 mpg on the road, a/c and heat will run you out. The rear wiper is almost useless unless you bend it towards the glass to get more contact. Overall I know this a GREAT value. If you don't need the four door don't get it. You still get a lot of truck and cargo area, not to metion lighter, so better mileage and cost less. Most of all DON'T get the 4.0 SOHC if at all possible.