1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
LOVE my Red Pig
By 3chooks on 01/07/15 15:48 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Explorer "used" in '99, with only 1300 miles on it. I truly lucked out! I bought it to pull my new Danish horse trailer (Brenderup) and as my commuting vehicle, which is why my wonderful Red Pig now has about 264K miles on it. ["Red Pig"? so named the first time I filled it up, having traded in a '96 Honda Civic coupe in the transaction]. It was my commuting vehicle as well as my trailer-puller until 6 years ago. Before the Pig was semi-retired, I was putting a good 22K miles on it per year; after, less than 3000 I am only now thinking it's time to find a successor for my beloved Pig. Very reluctantly, because I don't think anything made more recently will measure up

1998 explorer 2 door
By joe440 on 08/31/13 21:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

had this suv about 3 years,and always run good,but started having some things going bad,the first thing,is a skip in the eng,and we had a comp,tuneup.and we stil have the skip,and they have tested it and theres no codes showing,and also were having trouble starting this car,sometimes it will start,and the next time sounds like theres no fire,but u let it sit for awhile and it starts.if anyone has had the same trouble,and u got it fixed,please post and let us no what u found, we have already spended to much to go on.over all we like this suv and would like to get it fixed.

Hated to Get Rid of It, but...
By car314 on 01/10/13 06:58 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT brand new from the dealer, and it gave me many good years. About 3 years ago, though, it began giving me issues. I ended up consistently putting money into it nearly every month. Honestly, the body began to go before the engine did... but once the little things started going wrong, it added up very quickly. The last thing to happen was a cracked thermostat housing, once I fixed that, I sold the truck. I really loved my Explorer, would recommend one, and bought a new one after selling my 1998. It did have awful gas mileage, my 2009 gets better mileage than my 1998 ever did.

not bad
By sixohthree81 on 03/16/12 14:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

bought this with our tax returns for $3500 from a local dealership about 2 weeks ago. went from a 92 saab 9000 to this and I LOVE IT!!! 4wd works great and the power leather seats are so comfortable. have only had 2 issues with it and 1 was the catalytic convertor needed to be welded back on as we hit a pot hole and it broke. (kinda expected it with 166000 miles) and the radio display doesnt work. radio still works just cant see what station you are on. kinda annoying but nothing to really complain about. I would recommend an explorer to all of my friends!

A great little truck.
By burninrock24 on 04/04/11 23:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The option for my model was not above. I drive a 1998 XLT 4x4 w/auto transmission. I bought the car for $3,000. with 146,000 miles on it two years ago as my first car. It is still running strong to this day. It has had it's usual maintenance, that is a given for any car of this age. Sure, it has it's quirks, but regardless, this is a great little truck that will never fail you.

Needs som e improvements
By Jess on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 120k now has 184k had to replace transmission, exhaust/muffler and many other parts that my boyfriend handled -can't recall what all of them were. Drives nice with new tranny. Problems: Radio screen broken- annoying to be unable to view radio station numbers, cd, etc. back window wiper does not touch window but it can swipe. Front driver power lock broke: repaired but still has trouble unlocking, leather interior rips easily with normal wear and tear (no pets.)Back bumper is bent downward for some reason. When parked on a slight incline facing downhill cannot get enough gasoline to engine to start the vehicle unless over quarter tank full. Very VERY VERY annoying!

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!
By Tina on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my explorer brand new when my 2nd son was born and still have it today! My son is now 13 yrs old. I feel safe sitting up high. It has never left me sitting. I have four wheel drive but hardly ever have to use it. I have a hill to go up to get out of my neighborhood. When it snows, most vehicles can not get over that hill but my explorer goes right up the snow covered hill. I will buy another Explorer when I'm ready for another vehicle.

Loved My Explorer
By Angela on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for nearly 10 years. I bought it used and have virtually put very little money into it except for usual wear and tear. This is a great family vehicle it is great when you need to carry large loads. This is a vehicle I will recommend to anyone. If you keep up with regular maintenance you will have a great vehicle for years to come. Snow is no match for this truck nothing stands in it's way. I am giving it to my nephew so that he will have a vehicle he can rely on while he is just starting out and I am sure it will last him until he gets on his feet just as it has for me and my family.

I love my Explorer
By Ray on 08/03/10 22:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer new in 1998. It's 12 years old now and still going strong. It has never broken down or even overheated. I drove this car all over Europe when I was assigned overseas. I have to admit I'm on the forgetful side when it comes to maintenance and oil changes although I did take it the dealer a couple of times for routine fluid changes and checks. The car chassis does groan and creak sometimes now but almost everything still works. The AC is still ice cold even though I've never had it serviced that i can recall. I've never had to replace as much as a fuel pump. I love this car and won't get a new one until this one dies.

I LOVED this truck
By cbeach31408 on 06/18/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I drove this truck for 7 months with NO problem..purchased it with 125k miles, it was so convenient, and wasn't that bad on gas even though when i bought it the truck hadn't been taken care of, with an oil change, and tune up ran like a dream, got around in our bad winter here with no problem at all, I had to sell it due to financial situation, and SO badly miss it, am actually looking for another one, this was the first one I'd ever owned but am now an Explorer fan, my sister has one the same year, with 226k miles and never hesitates to drive it all over the country. AWESOME truck!