Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I just LOVE my Explorer! Very Reliable!
By Yvonne

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This SUV I got as a baby shower gift. I have owned it since Febrary of 2014 right before I had my daughter. It has never left us stranded anywhere. This SUV is like a tank seriously! The only thing we had to do with it was get the transmission rebuilt which cited us $1,975.00 but it was worth it. I plan on getting it fully restored when I get my settlement. Maintenance is easy , we have always kept up with oil changes etc. the original owner that bought it brand new always got all of its maintenance done at the ford dealer she got it at! It was all written down in the maintenance schedule book with the owners manual she kept. The original owner also kept the factory window sticker in the owners manual! Neat! My explorer costed $42,000 new! Wow back in 1998!

Fun to ride!
By Elias diaz

1998 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Great fun SUV
My baby Bauer 1998
No big issues
If well maintain, delivers well

LOVE my Red Pig
By 3chooks

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Explorer "used" in '99, with only 1300 miles on it. I truly lucked out! I bought it to pull my new Danish horse trailer (Brenderup) and as my commuting vehicle, which is why my wonderful Red Pig now has about 264K miles on it. ["Red Pig"? so named the first time I filled it up, having traded in a '96 Honda Civic coupe in the transaction].

It was my commuting vehicle as well as my trailer-puller until 6 years ago. Before the Pig was semi-retired, I was putting a good 22K miles on it per year; after, less than 3000

I am only now thinking it's time to find a successor for my beloved Pig. Very reluctantly, because I don't think anything made more recently will measure up

reliability! maybe it was just a good day at the factory, but my Pig has been a real trouper. It doesn't owe me a thing. I just wish I could keep it for another 17 years!

really? for a 17 year old truck-based SUV that has been absolutely more than adequate for its job? Nope. My Red Pig is perfect. Or would be, if I could remove some years' worth of wear & tear and the effects of the salt that my State sprays on roads in the winter.

1998 explorer 2 door
By joe440

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

had this suv about 3 years,and always run good,but started having some things going bad,the first thing,is a skip in the eng,and we had a comp,tuneup.and we stil have the skip,and they have tested it and theres no codes showing,and also were having trouble starting this car,sometimes it will start,and the next time sounds like theres no fire,but u let it sit for awhile and it starts.if anyone has had the same trouble,and u got it fixed,please post and let us no what u found, we have already spended to much to go on.over all we like this suv and would like to get it fixed.

Hated to Get Rid of It, but...
By car314

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT brand new from the dealer, and it gave me many good years. About 3 years ago, though, it began giving me issues. I ended up consistently putting money into it nearly every month. Honestly, the body began to go before the engine did... but once the little things started going wrong, it added up very quickly. The last thing to happen was a cracked thermostat housing, once I fixed that, I sold the truck.

I really loved my Explorer, would recommend one, and bought a new one after selling my 1998. It did have awful gas mileage, my 2009 gets better mileage than my 1998 ever did.