Wonderfully Designed, Fair reliability
By Neill on
1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD
I truly enjoy this vehicle. It gets me to my critical job when the city is on snow emergency, with ease. The Auto 4x4 is great, as is the layout of the entire car. Rear heating is also an added plus. As far as comfort and design, this car is a winner. When it comes to reliability however, this car has issues. My tranny had to be rebuilt at 98k miles, suspension system is falling apart despite replacing shocks at 112k, also numerous little rattles/alarming noises from the engine have had to be administered to. Overall, I enjoy the car.
Favorite Features
Power lock toggle in cargo area, rear seat ac/heat, dashboard layout, radio buttons (nice and easy to use while keeping your eyes up), auto on/off headlights, auto 4x4 , temp/directional display, comfort of seats, driving position allows for arm to rest while driving.
Suggested Improvements
I simply wish the car was built with slightly better reliability in mind. My car seems to seek its friend, the local mechanic, too often. Offroad capability [currently nonexistent] could be vastly improved.