1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Loved my Explorer till it

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Loved my Explorer till it Exploded
By flyehj on

1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our '97 Explorer used and loved the spacious interior equipped with all the bells and whistles. I especially liked how the backseat passengers aren't neglected like in most other SUV's of its class. However, while driving it last weekend, my teenage daughter noticed that it would not accelerate above 50mph. No warning light appeared, but she pulled over anyway, opened the hood, and found the engine in flames. By the time the Fire Dept. arrived (within 10 minutes) it was totally engulfed. It was a total loss. Fire Dept. believe it was caused by something electrical. I had just had the PM (oil change, etc.) only two weeks before.

Favorite Features

Roomy, backseat has A/C controls and vents, radio controls; easy to flatten back seats for more cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

A/C and heating vent blows right on driver's accelerator foot--it can get very uncomfortable. Newer models give you the option of turning off the floor vents, but not in the '97.