1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Ford is a four letter

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Ford is a four letter word
By fooled me once on

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I babied the tranny more than any other vehicle I owned...and also spent by far and away the most on it terms of preventive maintenance ( >$1000) and repairs (>$3000). The engine was wrecked due to poorly designed (plastic) timing chain tensioners (the chain powered the oil pump)FIrestone tire fiasco.head rests not safe. seat reclining lever poorly designed. U-Haul won't let trailers be towed by Explorers (2004). tire changing components fail unpredictably. locks rust easily. manual says towing max speed is 45 MPH!! Honda shop manual (Helm) MUCH better. No Tow hooks. climate control heater blend door $2 part failed $1100 estimate to fix (Bob Bell Ford)

Favorite Features

full time 4WD capability. keypad entry system is great! Alloy wheels seem ok

Suggested Improvements

Ford grossed about $7000-$8000 profit on the vehicle. They could retain customers if they didn't cut so many corners. Better seat head rest. better transmission. In my opinion improve the Mid-Atlantic dealers they seem to be crooked and unethical. Add tow hooks.