Used 1997 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
Excellent vehicle for trailer towing et
By Dennis Miller

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have found this to be an excellent vehicle. Interior is as new. Very limited repairs aside from a couple of brake jobs. Michelin tires put on by Ford for free are still serving me. Tows a 4,000 lb. trailer no problem..in the mountains. AWD has proven to be terrific. Have passed stalled/stuck buses, cars, SUV's many times in the mountains. Everything works! 11 years old.

Favorite Features

AWD. Leather. Low maintenance. Computer mileage, outside temp V8, towing capacity. Mileage is reasonable for a V8. 20-21 highway

Suggested Improvements

None

Love this SUV
By veryhappy

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer 2 years used and have had it for 11 years. It has been extremely reliable with only the expected maintenance issues of a vehicle over time. If I had a child of driving age I would definitely consider this vehicle as a great option!

Favorite Features

The ride, the feel, really I love everything about this vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Ability to turn 4 wheel drive completely off if necessary.

Rock Hard
By explorersaurus

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My dad bought me a 1997 Ford explorer about 6 months ago. Pretty much my only gripe with it is the poor fuel economy. Other than that, it's fantastic. I have an XLT with the V8 and AWD. I am yet to have used the AWD in the snow, but the V8 has supple power and (for a truck) smooth power delivery. The driver and passenger seat is comfy. Overall, a great purchase.

Favorite Features

10 way power seats... wow. The sunroof. The two-way liftgate is a bonus. Plenty of rear cargo space. And the build quality is outstanding. No rattles or creaks, and everything still fits tightly.

Suggested Improvements

The headlights could be brighter. that's about it.

Lasted a long time
By Chauncey

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my explorer from carmax with about 36k miles in 98. Initially I had a lot of minor problems going back and forth to carmax and then 1 big problem that never got fully resolved. I had a problem with heating and a/c system switching from heat to air conditioning. After that no major problems with this vehicle lasted a long time 226k before it died on me. The body and interior held up very good still in very good condition. Had a lot of class for an SUV and fun to drive and take on long trips. Overall I was very satisfied with my explorer got my money out of it.

Favorite Features

Leather , CD, Sunroof and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it would have had 3rd row seating

Ford Explorer XLT V8 AWD
By matchgrade

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my explorer for $1000 for my first car in august of 2012 with 154,000 on it. Let me tell you this is a badass truck with a lot of power. I drove it pretty hard, commuting back and forth to school every day for a semester doin about 70 miles a day offroading some weekends and going up to the mountains in west virginia, and using it as a utility vehicle this spring for my landscaping business. Not the most reliable but it was 15 years old, replaced camshaft position sensor, cat flange gasket, alternator, radiator blew and overheated engine and made #4 cylinder thereafter but hell engines made today would be toast after overheating. Recommend getting owner records before buying

Favorite Features

V8 power, cheap to buy, comfortable and spacious interior, plenty of room to haul cargo

Suggested Improvements

Better interior build quality, door springs, radiator, bigger steering wheel, wish they had made this a real 4x4 on the v8 equipped model and not full time four wheel drive