Used 1997 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent vehicle for trailer towing et
By Dennis Miller

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have found this to be an excellent vehicle. Interior is as new. Very limited repairs aside from a couple of brake jobs. Michelin tires put on by Ford for free are still serving me. Tows a 4,000 lb. trailer no problem..in the mountains. AWD has proven to be terrific. Have passed stalled/stuck buses, cars, SUV's many times in the mountains. Everything works! 11 years old.

Favorite Features

AWD. Leather. Low maintenance. Computer mileage, outside temp V8, towing capacity. Mileage is reasonable for a V8. 20-21 highway

Suggested Improvements

None

Not Bad but Not Good Either
By Michelle W

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from a dealership - within 6 months the transfer case went - $2500 to replace. The air conditioner needs to be fixed that another $1000. But is good on gas in the city and the brakes seem to last forever. Leg room in the front is good but is a tight fit in the back.

Favorite Features

Cargo area is large and flat.

Suggested Improvements

Better highway gas mileage.

What was Ford thinking?
By NicoleN

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used with 125k miles on it. Within a year my transfer case was shot and I needed a new one. I've replaced my brakes multiple times and have only had it 3 years. My muffler got very loud and when I had it fixed the mechanic told me that for the 97 they completely changed the muffler and then changed it back in 98 because they probably figured out it was bad news. Last but not least, my timing chain just blew and when the mechanic looked at it, he said 'What the hell was Ford thinking when they did this?' There's 4 chains that need to be replaced and you have to remove the motor to change them because they are all over. I don't wish this on anyone.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats. Love the sunroof. I felt very safe while driving it (at least from accidents). Fantastic in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe they tried to change up the 97 but when they realized their mistake, they made the 98 like the 96. My driver side seat handle broke too and it can't be used anymore either.

The tank
By blackhaus50

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This truck is an animal. Starts everyday and won't die after 20k in 1 year. So far so good. No major repairs yet and my Explorer has 188k on it. AC don't work, that's about it.

Favorite Features

4x4

Suggested Improvements

Better miles per gallon

Still going
By GREAT CAR

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Ford used in 2000, It has never broken down on me never had a major problem. Has been to California at least 10 times, I live in Albuquerque,NM. Besides minor maintance like oil and breaks this car has definitely paid for itself. It still drives daily, has no leaks and power still there like the day I drove it for the first time. 225,000 and counting

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Door locks just don't work like they used to,