1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
No more Fords
By Melissa on 03/12/05 00:29 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used in '99 from one owner. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone! Mine was in the shop more than my own garage. Replaced hoses, sensors, valves and had the engine rebuilt from the crank up at 75,000 miles! Replaced head gaskets and they blew again within 8 months. Ford doesnt have any concept of customer service. The Explorer was my third and FINAL Ford (owned an Escort and Mustang previously with very similar problems). Sold it as fast as I could and bought Japanese, with no problems to this day. Save yourself the headaches and stay away from Fords!

Very versatile and comfortable
By wdbarrett on 01/31/05 22:36 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Explorer used from a dealer and have not had any problems. We currently have 72,000 miles on it and just love it. We upgraded the stereo with one that can play MP3's plus a 10-disc CD changer. The installer wired it incorrectly. The subwoofer is on the front channel, the middle speakers on the rear channel, and the front speakers on the center channel.

Maybe I Got Lucky
By rufus1959 on 01/28/05 23:46 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Powerful 4.0 SOHC engine, lots of options, nice styling, and comfortable. Needs better shocks and it has front end alignment problems. I got the timing chain tensioner and intake manifold gasket recall problem fixed at 50,000 miles. It has 101,000 miles on it now and the only problems I've had were two thermostats replaced, front end alignment, and a battery. It could use some new shocks though. Overall it has been a pleasure to own. I've had other Fords and I have experienced numerous problems with them. Maybe I got lucky with this Explorer. Resale value is terrible, but that's the norm with a Ford.

97 Ford Explorer
By Hermann Lag on 12/05/04 18:24 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought with the intent of keeping long term. The truck was very reliable, good performance, reasonable efficiency. NO problem pulling a 3500 lb. trailer through mountains. Comfortable ride.

After 7 Years 149K Miles Still OK
By dilbert2 on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new in 12/97. Engine had to be replaced at 103K. It was covered by warranty. Handle to recline driver seat bent and eventually broke off. Cost $600 to fix. Wow! AC will hold a charge for a season. I live in cold weather (upstate NY) and don't bother. Great in snow. Great towing vehicle. I hauled easily 3000 pounds in the vehicle with no problem. (32 bags of cement). I have a 7 foot snowplow and it handles it well...even though I have a 6 cylinder engine. For the abuse that I gave this truck it is great. I can still hit 95MPH on the NY State Thruway with it, get 17 MPG, haul 3000 pounds in it, or tow 5000 pounds. Not bad.

XLT SOHC V6
By gounder on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a college student and love my Explorer. My dad bought it with 20,000 miles and drove it to 90,000. I now drive it with 100,300 miles and counting. It can haul my friends and all our gear out to the beach or up to the mountains. I have taken over rocks, into mud, through water, and up snow covered mountains. I keep on top of the basic maintenance. My dad gave me a AAA card but I have never had to call them. It is a great SUV.

LEMON
By whatalemon on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

what a lemon. will NEVER buy a ford again. Bought used and in 4 yrs head gaskets, stabilizer bar link, control arm bushings, air conditioner, rear window lock, driver door locks, driver seat,and many other things all broke. Called Ford and they DONT stand behind their product. (yes it is out of warranty but all this shouldn't be breaking). only 60,000 miles. NEVER AGAIN. BUYER BEWARE

Its an old friend
By Sgt on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this vehicle used, and I have put over 60000 miles on this old friend. It has been a costly vehicle, cost 400.oo for third brake light, used even!!! Likes to eat brakes and really loves gas, but has been a great vehicle to drive, has never let me down in the snow! You can't make this vehicle slide in the snow. overall, I love it.

Great SUV
By meddac1 on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought our EB V-8 AWD explorer brand new and 7 years later at 85000 miles she is still a great performer! THis is our second EB had a 1994 that was equally good but underpowered so traded when the V-8 was available. I can't believe all the other reviews. The only problem I ever had was a computer module went out that caused the engine to run poorly and a power window switch at 60K. I do my own maintenance and used Mobil 1 ever since breakin and changed the plugs out early as waiting for 100K miles could be awhile. The AWD performs great in the snow and does much better than my 4X4 truck.

Review of Ford
By ftaggart on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have enjoyed my Explorer, so much I plan to buy another one this yr. The problems I have had were all minor & easily corrected. The ONLY issue I had that I could never fix was in cold, wet wheather, the auto off feature for the head lamps would engage & the only way to correct it was to unhook the battery. Ford repair could never fix it, fortunatly it only happened maybe 3 or 4 times a year.