1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Not bad at all...
By Q on 02/11/06 06:49 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only had my Explorer for 3 months now, but no major problems. It has high mileage, so the things that I will need to replace are expected when an SUV reaches this mileage marker. Roomy, comfortable seats, and it is fun to drive. Ford designed these Explorers to rev high off the line if you give it some gas, and that is what they do. Just wish it got a lil' better gas mileage, it's only a V6. It would be nice to have more horsepower and acceleration too. Ford has got to do something about that, I mean come on ... Pontiac makes a V6 that kicks out 260hp and still gets good gas mileage.

I still like my Explorer
By GPDMTR25 on 11/12/05 12:06 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I still love to drive my Explorer. I've never had a problem with mine although several of my friends have had minor problems with theirs. I was worried about getting an American made car so I purchased the extended warranty. I've never had a reason to use it though. My second car is a convertible Mini Cooper which is a blast to drive but I still use my Explorer to do all of my main driving because I like it so much.

Wonderfully Designed, Fair reliability
By Neill on 08/27/05 09:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I truly enjoy this vehicle. It gets me to my critical job when the city is on snow emergency, with ease. The Auto 4x4 is great, as is the layout of the entire car. Rear heating is also an added plus. As far as comfort and design, this car is a winner. When it comes to reliability however, this car has issues. My tranny had to be rebuilt at 98k miles, suspension system is falling apart despite replacing shocks at 112k, also numerous little rattles/alarming noises from the engine have had to be administered to. Overall, I enjoy the car.

Fun!
By Scott on 08/17/05 17:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My Explorer was a lot of fun, I had to sell because of MPG - horrible - 10 to 12 MPG with 5.0 V8 on a good day. All the extras were enjoyable too. The paint started coming off in a few places and the stereo started shorting out at the same time. Overall, I put 168,000 miles on it and only had small repairs along the way.

Scoring my Explorer
By Bud Denno on 08/11/05 15:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Explorer new in California and have made 5 cross- country trips to the east coast before settling in Maine in 2002. I have had the following major maintenance; Replaced ball joints, replaced brakes (front and rear) twice, turned the rotors once and replaced them once. I personally change oil and filter every 3000-4000 miles. I pulled a loaded tandem wheel trailer from Calif. to Maine without incident. The four wheel drive has worked flawlessly (and frequently). Overall, I have been very pleased with the vehicle, however, I must admit that gas mileage is the biggest disadvantage. Around town I average 15-16 MPG and on trips I have gotten 20-21. It is now for sale.

American built and I love it
By Jeff on 06/29/05 13:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Well pleased with the speed and response of the V8. Looks great after 8 years. Fuel economy is poor, however these things are big and built for fun and work not fuel economy.

Solid performer
By Frankie on 06/21/05 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've owned my Explorer since buying it new off the lot in mid-97. Looking back on it, this car turned out much better than expected. It drives smoothly and relatively quietly. Unless you plan to race through the twisties or zigzag through traffic, it handles quite comfortably. On the downhill side of the depreciation curve, it sure is economical to operate. Just replace the usual wear and tear items - tires, brakes, filters, doodads - and save money for other toys. Can't beat it.

Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
By 1997 Ford Explorer on 05/29/05 17:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my '97 Explorer, but it has been giving me problems lately. Bought it from my parents; they put 96K miles on in it 7 years. Around 97K, a month or so after I got it, the tensioner went; had to spend 4K to replace the engine. The car failed emissions test, had to pay $200 for a new part plus service. Recently the fuses have been blowing. Fuel economy stinks since I replaced the engine- <15 city. Love my car but may replace with more fuel efficient/reliable car once I can afford another. Positives are: great towing, lots of space, comfortable, safe.

Explorer Review
By gtyates on 05/18/05 14:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1997 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the OHV engine has been an excellent vehicle for me. I purchased it with 35,000 miles in 2002, and it now has almost 90,000. The only issues I have had are the accumulator in the A/C system rusted out and had to be replaced, and the lower front ball joints had to be replaced, both of which happened last year with about 80,000 miles on the vehicle. The vehicle is still giving me excellent performance, and the gas mileage is running about 15 in town and 20 on the road. I highly recommend one, especially if you can find a low mileage one.

Disappointed 2
By rollo on 04/20/05 00:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Very disappointed in this vehicle. The EGR valve has went out several times. The automatic ride control including the compressor went out at 90k miles. The estimate from the dealer was $1,500 to fix (I had the the air shocks ripped out and put regular shocks and new leaf springs on it for $500). The climate control went out at 110k miles costing over $1200 (heater box and actuator). Antenna doesn't go up & down, can't unlock the hatch with the key and can't lock or unlock it with the back switch. Cruise control on the steering wheel broke off and the hood won't stay up by itself. Many other small repairs have been needed. Now I can't even sell it for more than I have in it in repairs.