1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The Green Beasty
By grimby802 on 10/10/07 12:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Why I love my beat up old Ford. With 115,000 miles (and counting) she still runs like a dream. I have replaced a few things here and there (but I have with every older car I have owned) Hint for people with gas mileage problems: change the oil, clean fuel injectors, replace air filter, keep tires inflated properly, and change your fuel filter. I still get 19 miles to the gallon or higher (pretty good for an old SUV). Oh and don't drive a aggressively (makes a huge difference). 10 years down lots more to go.

i love my car/truck
By brant on 08/26/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 97 used at my cousins car lot and I loved it since day 1. Mileage and power was a little low but the k&n high flow air filter does help a lot. The only repairs I've done are your usual high wear items like brakes, shocks, tune up and 3000 mile oil and filter. I have great power and get around 15-18 mpg. Great interior space. This one is a joy to drive and I must say very safe to own. My dad saw an accident with a newer one that went into the rear of full size car that totalled the car and the suv was still very drivable. Since this accident my dad has finally bought an Explorer and he just loves his 98 explorer sport to death and now is a loyal explorer owner.

Sporty and Fun!
By AngelOU on 08/23/07 17:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

My parents ordered this Explorer from the factory, custom-made for them. It has performed well after being shipped around the world, including surviving a typhoon. Regular maintenance is a must, and you will have to fix things as they break. We replaced the CD player with an MP3 player after the 6 disc changer went out. A few minor repairs along the way, but nothing more than a few hundred dollars a year. It's now my college car, and I'm enjoying it! The gas mileage is less than desirable, but it's normal for an SUV. The paint looks excellent with regular washings and waxings. The plastic covering on the driver's side seat has broken from regular use, though. Speakers stink.

Good Car but you have to know how to fix
By Gregory on 08/05/07 20:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My Ford has 203k on it now. It's good and has the same engine but I replaced both front and back timing tenshioners. These were easy to do because they are located outside the engine. I read this has to be done or your engine will go away! I guess I am lucky because the guides never broke and I never had to go inside the engine. The rest of the car is 100% quality, never an issue with anything. Much better than my Benz that had constant issues with electrical problems. Like all German cars do. I love American cars because they dont have nagging problems like import cars have. They just work. The CD player failed ( Sony Made) and this seems to be a problem all for cars have

Explorer
By Van on 07/27/07 06:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. Handles great, good steering, stable for type, gets excellent gas mileage, tows travel trailer easly with outstanding towing mileage @ 12.5 and plenty of power to pull up long steep grades. Has never been a problem, comfortable seats even with long days, have driven as much as 750 miles in a day and still going strong. Outstanding!

Best vehicle I ever owned...
By ziegfeld on 03/28/07 16:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Nearly trouble free Best vehicle I ever owned. 205,000 miles and still going strong.

1997 2 Door Sport
By Rick McQuaide on 05/08/06 21:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle with 99k miles on it and have done a lot of long distance driving with it. The truck is comfortable and has been very reliable since it has started every day! Gas mileage is horrible and the electrical inside of the vehicle is crazy like windshield wipers not working correctly and lights in the instrument cluster going out and lots of other problems. The door locking system outside the truck broke and is very intermittent, but for the money I paid it has paid itself off.

132,000 miles and counting
By jlppimb on 04/08/06 11:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the SUV new in '97. Have taken it off road a couple times and the truck was awesome. With higher mileage some things have started to wear out as is expected. The fuel mileage stinks, but what do you expect, it's not a compact car so get used to it. Mileage can be increased by adding a new air filter and changing the computer chip if you want. I will hate the day I have to get rid of the truck but I know it's coming soon.

My 1997 Ford Explorer
By w4abw on 04/05/06 07:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1997 Eddie Bauer 4WD new. It was great for about 4 years. I had put 16,000 miles on it when the factory warranty expired and had zero problems. After the warranty expired the SUV went nuts. Heater quit because of defective blend door and blend door motor. Rear lights went out because of defective wiring (can you believe) and the check engine light would come on and go off as often as a US Senator sticks out his hand for a contribution. On top of that the Ford roll over problem appeared with both Ford and Firestone pointing fingers at each other. When the SUV was about 6 years old the dash lights began to fail one at a time. Now the dash lights are mostly all out. Hood now fails.

Terrible Automobile
By bad ford on 02/28/06 09:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. I was a life long Ford man. Not now. This was the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought and the worst. It was poorly designed, poorly engineered, and poorly constructed. I've had nothing but problems and the dealer is no help. The list of problems, just to name a few: A "Plastic", yes you read it right, timing chain tensioner that cost me $1730.00; yes you read that right too. Blend door broke ($400.00), intake manifold seals ($600.00), O2 sensors (numerous). Fan clutch ($300.00). Numerous others. This thing had problems from front to back. It is a terrible vehicle and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.