Used 1997 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent
By Happy

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

My Ford Explorer is still going. Only had to replace fuel pump once it turned 10 years old. Had to change all oxygen sensors and other than regular brake work this car was a great purchase!

Most reliable Vehicle we've owned
By Bill

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My wife went to look at this SUV on 9/11/01. 5.0 V7. It has been very reliable, starting to have some repairs now but it has 147,000 miles. I have towed several Uhauls between WI and TX, plenty of power, also a 25ft Boat. It was great when we lived in WI during the winter. AWD works great, you don't have think about when you might need 4 wheel drive. Mileage not so great, but then this is an SUV. 14 around town, 18 on the highwy, best was 19. I had a 94 Explorer so this is my second and now also have a 04 Mountaineer. Smaller V8 4.6L but more power and better mileage. We now live in SC but travel back to and forth from WI. This was a great vehicle on the road.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity, interior space and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat was not meant for long distance. Newer Explorer's and Mountaineers took care of that. Allow rear seat back to recline. Auto close sunroof.

200,000 and still strong
By Jeeper

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I've got about 209,000 miles on the 5.0 liter V8, and still running strong. I had to replace the transfer case at about 150,0000, but I was pulling a trailer a lot, often pushing the limits of what the vehicle is rated to pull. It's still my daily driver, and couldn't be happier with the longevity, and what I've gotten for my money. No, it doesn't get great gas mileage, but it's a 4500 lb vehicle with a V8 engine, what do you expect?

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive is awesome in the winter! I've never had a problem in snow, and pulled a several cars out of ditches.

Suggested Improvements

I'd say more power, but they've already done that on newer models.

HATE IT!!!!!!!
By Andy

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv with 20,000 miles on it and it drove good, until the rear window wiper broke, passenger handle droke. Also the radio button is broken and cant turn it off. The windows shake when you roll them down, and it makes a weird sound when you go over rocks and bumps. The lock in the back of the suv broke and now makes a load sound when you lock the doors.

Favorite Features

Nothing!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Everything, I think Ford should quit making cars becasue they seen to same lots of problems.

Our Best Vehicle Ever
By rlc1997

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

We have had our '97 Explorer XLT AWD V8 since new and it's now 12 years old and has 169,000 miles. This is by far the longest we ever have kept a car both in terms of time as well as miles driven. This truck just keeps on going. We use it every day from mundane things like commuting to/from work to bigger things like camping vacations, driving trips and trailering loads. No major repairs in its history - just the usual things like battery, brakes, and tires.

Favorite Features

Power and reliability of the 5.0 V8. We bought this truck new because it had the 5.0 V8 and have not been disappointed in our choice. The Explorer's size and comfort are a close second - it fits our family of 4 and all of our stuff perfectly when we go on our camping trips.

Suggested Improvements

None.