1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Excellent vehicle for trailer towing et
By Dennis Miller on 12/14/08 16:32 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have found this to be an excellent vehicle. Interior is as new. Very limited repairs aside from a couple of brake jobs. Michelin tires put on by Ford for free are still serving me. Tows a 4,000 lb. trailer no problem..in the mountains. AWD has proven to be terrific. Have passed stalled/stuck buses, cars, SUV's many times in the mountains. Everything works! 11 years old.

Not Bad but Not Good Either
By Michelle W on 10/16/08 15:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from a dealership - within 6 months the transfer case went - $2500 to replace. The air conditioner needs to be fixed that another $1000. But is good on gas in the city and the brakes seem to last forever. Leg room in the front is good but is a tight fit in the back.

What was Ford thinking?
By NicoleN on 08/20/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used with 125k miles on it. Within a year my transfer case was shot and I needed a new one. I've replaced my brakes multiple times and have only had it 3 years. My muffler got very loud and when I had it fixed the mechanic told me that for the 97 they completely changed the muffler and then changed it back in 98 because they probably figured out it was bad news. Last but not least, my timing chain just blew and when the mechanic looked at it, he said 'What the hell was Ford thinking when they did this?' There's 4 chains that need to be replaced and you have to remove the motor to change them because they are all over. I don't wish this on anyone.

The tank
By blackhaus50 on 08/02/08 13:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This truck is an animal. Starts everyday and won't die after 20k in 1 year. So far so good. No major repairs yet and my Explorer has 188k on it. AC don't work, that's about it.

Still going
By GREAT CAR on 07/19/08 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Ford used in 2000, It has never broken down on me never had a major problem. Has been to California at least 10 times, I live in Albuquerque,NM. Besides minor maintance like oil and breaks this car has definitely paid for itself. It still drives daily, has no leaks and power still there like the day I drove it for the first time. 225,000 and counting

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD
By luckylady on 05/19/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had this vehicle for 11 years, bought it brand new and I haven't had any major problems with it. It still looks and runs great. It's a timeless design, I believe. It never looks out of style. But the gas mileage is horrible, but what do you expect, it's a 4WD SUV. I have had a lot of fun and I'm not ashamed to drive it even after 11 years. It still looks brand new, especially after it's washed and waxed. I'll be sad to let it go because it's been the best car I ever owned.

Average to Good
By Matt Price on 05/08/08 07:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Generally a good vehicle. I would improve the speakers (start failing after 6 yrs), the dash lights go out, and the console material cracks. The car is good for utility use and handles bad weather nicely. Feels like the mileage could be better given the engine size. Program for fuel injection may not be optimized. I get better mileage running the AC than without.

Great value for the price
By Jeff on 04/22/08 06:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I'm amazed at other reviewers complaining because they bought a used vehicle and it had maintenance problems. If the hood won't stay up, replace the supports for $20. After a decade or so they might have worn out. Overall, other than the radio, this is a well designed vehicle which when properly maintained will last and last. The V6 has almost as much horsepower as the V8, but gets almost the same milage as well, so you might as well get the V8 and its increased towing capability. Mileage will depend on how you drive it, I'm getting 20 MPG combined, and I know of one man who's getting 30 MPG (mostly highway).

Not Bad For An Older SUV
By Roy C. on 03/06/08 00:38 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from caring owners at 72K. Now 108K. No major problems. Average mileage for 90's SUV (12/17, driving it easy). Rough ride on bumps, but has smooth acceleration/power. Repairs - had to replace hood support struts and the AC condenser. Finish has faded on plastic trim all over (front grill and especially on rear pillars on either side of rear glass). The seat incline lever on driver's side is positioned poorly and broke after being bent numerous times during normal entering and exiting. Rear passenger power window quits working occasionally, then begins working again. Good sound system. No water leaks, no wind noise. 4 WD OK, but binds when turning hard.

They don't make them like this anymore
By Karl on 12/02/07 05:50 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This has been a practical, fun, and very reliable vehicle, with only minimal unscheduled maintenance. Needed a brake job and tie-ins replaced at 90,000 miles, but what do you expect? The ride is not great, but it's a real SUV that you can drive over fields and rough paths.