Used 1997 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Worth every penny
By Drives American

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have 304,000 miles on my Explorer. Replaced the transmission at 290,000. Replaces heads (cracked) a year ago. Dealer told me that there was no "gunk" in the heads which meant the motor runs clean. This car has raised two children and has been phenomenal! Plan on trading it in on the Ford Edge in a few days. Hard to see it go but I'm ready to get better gas mileage.

Love this SUV
By veryhappy

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer 2 years used and have had it for 11 years. It has been extremely reliable with only the expected maintenance issues of a vehicle over time. If I had a child of driving age I would definitely consider this vehicle as a great option!

The ride, the feel, really I love everything about this vehicle!

Ability to turn 4 wheel drive completely off if necessary.

King suv
By ra

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought it with 60,000 mi. Drove like new! Luv American cars never had one less than 100,000 on it with very little trouble. Now has over 200,000 and still going strong, looks great, runs great, everything still works. Understand why no. 1 seller.

bumper to bumper.

wings and jet engine!

A Classic
By GORDON CORCORAN

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this 1997 limited Explorer from a private party ONE OWNER with 97,000 miles. with no body damage at all, Excellent interior. With many extras. Like a pone in the center console. Heated seats. Mirrors. Computer display. 10 CD player. Cassette, New Tires. No oil leas, and the V8 5.0 engine. Navigational system. I got it for $3.500. and much more, When I got stationed here at FT Sam Houston, San Antonio TX. So far So Good. $3.800. I am very pleased.

Interior, V8 5.0,

Strong Like Bull
By blackhaus50

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got this truck used of craigslist back in 07 for $1800. it had 160k. ran great till the day i sold it with 235k on it(may 2010), never had to dump much money into it ( oil changes, new tires and some other reg maint.) much better than my 99 blazer i had. BTW i sold if for 900 to a buddy of mine, no leaks & never burned any fluids.I drove this thing 60 miles a day to boot

moonroof was cool, leather and it started up every time! and key pad on drivers door in case you locked your keys inside.

better gas mileage, but it's an SUV i guess

• SUV