1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Solid performer
By Frankie on 06/21/05 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've owned my Explorer since buying it new off the lot in mid-97. Looking back on it, this car turned out much better than expected. It drives smoothly and relatively quietly. Unless you plan to race through the twisties or zigzag through traffic, it handles quite comfortably. On the downhill side of the depreciation curve, it sure is economical to operate. Just replace the usual wear and tear items - tires, brakes, filters, doodads - and save money for other toys. Can't beat it.

Review of Ford
By ftaggart on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have enjoyed my Explorer, so much I plan to buy another one this yr. The problems I have had were all minor & easily corrected. The ONLY issue I had that I could never fix was in cold, wet wheather, the auto off feature for the head lamps would engage & the only way to correct it was to unhook the battery. Ford repair could never fix it, fortunatly it only happened maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Automatic Transmission Problems
By ootpa on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My family members have bought approximately 10 Ford vehicles since we purchased a 1988 Aerostar. All have been exceptional vehicles except for our recent experience with our 1997 Explorer. The transmission began having shifting problems at 62K. When I returned it to the dealer, I was told we needed a remanufactured transmission which cost $2400. Quite a shock and no explanation from the dealer except "it happens." Appealing to Ford directly.

97 explorer reliability
By izoom2 on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have to say that my 97 Explorer XLT v- 6 w/ leather has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones. I purchased it in '99 as an off lease vehicle with 23K miles and now have 94K miles on it. I have made sure to keep up with the PM's: oil changes, trans fluids, radiator fluids, etc. The only things that have failed are the thermostat and shocks. I topped the freon off last summer, now it's as frosty as the day I bought it. My only regret is that I did not buy the V-8 model. Oh well, now that it is paid off I hope to drive it into the ground. Perhaps it will go another 94K before then?!

Install X-Spec suspension upgrade!
By LittleStevie on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Five months ago I installed the Explorer Express X-Spec suspension kit. New sway bars, performance shocks, and a 1.5" lowering kit (barely visible lowering). Improved body roll, steering response, and general stability of the vehicle tremendously. I will never drive a stock Explorer again! $900 for the kit, about $400 to install. Well worth it! www.explorerexpress.com And I don't work for them either! PS Put a good set of tires on too...Michelin Cross Terrain SUV

Great, until 70K miles!
By mike125 on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

The Explorer was a great car til about 70K miles. Since then, it has been like all American Cars - falling apart. I swear they build these things to fall apart at 70K miles. How many $250 O2 sensors can be packed into a car that are made to fail at higher mileages. That is on top of the $1300 Trans rebuild that I had to do while on vacation in Fl. I know things break, but my Honda with 130K miles NEVER had any problems other than preventitive maintenance. This is the last American car that I will own!

No probs
By DrGabe on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We've had great luck with our 97. It has the V-8 which gives it excellent accelleration, but not-so-good mileage. The power seats still work, and the factory installed audio equipment is wonderful, still.