Used 1997 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

XLT SOHC V6
By gounder

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a college student and love my Explorer. My dad bought it with 20,000 miles and drove it to 90,000. I now drive it with 100,300 miles and counting. It can haul my friends and all our gear out to the beach or up to the mountains. I have taken over rocks, into mud, through water, and up snow covered mountains. I keep on top of the basic maintenance. My dad gave me a AAA card but I have never had to call them. It is a great SUV.

Favorite Features

Engine, 4x4, cargo room

Suggested Improvements

Back seat a little tight, stock tires too small, 6x8 stock speakers make them very expensive to replace with quality products

LEMON
By whatalemon

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

what a lemon. will NEVER buy a ford again. Bought used and in 4 yrs head gaskets, stabilizer bar link, control arm bushings, air conditioner, rear window lock, driver door locks, driver seat,and many other things all broke. Called Ford and they DONT stand behind their product. (yes it is out of warranty but all this shouldn't be breaking). only 60,000 miles. NEVER AGAIN. BUYER BEWARE

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

stand behind your product

Its an old friend
By Sgt

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this vehicle used, and I have put over 60000 miles on this old friend. It has been a costly vehicle, cost 400.oo for third brake light, used even!!! Likes to eat brakes and really loves gas, but has been a great vehicle to drive, has never let me down in the snow! You can't make this vehicle slide in the snow. overall, I love it.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, has not let me down yet.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality.

Great SUV
By meddac1

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought our EB V-8 AWD explorer brand new and 7 years later at 85000 miles she is still a great performer! THis is our second EB had a 1994 that was equally good but underpowered so traded when the V-8 was available. I can't believe all the other reviews. The only problem I ever had was a computer module went out that caused the engine to run poorly and a power window switch at 60K. I do my own maintenance and used Mobil 1 ever since breakin and changed the plugs out early as waiting for 100K miles could be awhile. The AWD performs great in the snow and does much better than my 4X4 truck.

Favorite Features

V-8 performance and mileage is good at 18.5. Fit and finish, stereo and automatic temperature controls

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be wider for better long drive comfort, put a tow hitch on it with towing package!

Review of Ford
By ftaggart

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have enjoyed my Explorer, so much I plan to buy another one this yr. The problems I have had were all minor & easily corrected. The ONLY issue I had that I could never fix was in cold, wet wheather, the auto off feature for the head lamps would engage & the only way to correct it was to unhook the battery. Ford repair could never fix it, fortunatly it only happened maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Favorite Features

I liked everything about it, excellent power, roomie interior, good controls and fine workmanship

Suggested Improvements

Work on getting a hybrid model of Explorer out, poor milage expensive & wasteful. The Escape is too small to move large loads so its not an option.