1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
No probs
By DrGabe on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We've had great luck with our 97. It has the V-8 which gives it excellent accelleration, but not-so-good mileage. The power seats still work, and the factory installed audio equipment is wonderful, still.

I love this vehicle!!!
By explorerlover on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has given me no problems other than normal wear and tear. It is a great vehicle to own. It's fun and easy to drive.

BT562's Review
By bt562 on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

My 1997 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer has benn excellent.

First & last time
By Scrnrat on 09/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought used with 60k miles and purchased extended warrenty. Good thing. Front drive problems withing 6 mo. All went well until warrenty ended. Now experiencing 4wd problems with front and back axle sensors & shift motor. Plus need all five front tie rods replaced. Approx $1200 that will be better spent on another vehicle. Never will buy Ford product again. Numerous recalls on the Explorer excluding the Firestone problem..which looking at suspension/drive train problems just may not be the tires after all.

My Explorer Experience
By jculp on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

My Explorer Sport has been reliable in the sense that it always starts. The flashing warning lights on the dash and incessant recalls -- that's a different story. I've owned it 3 years and have endured the tire recall and two other engine parts. Also, the mounting bolt had to be replaced. The ride is rough -- comparable to covered wagon. I still prefer the exterior to the new model. And while I love my Explorer, I never plan to purchase another. The price seems great at first -- until you have to pay for the car and the repairs. Definitely get an extended warranty.

69,000 and no problems
By Dave Miller on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Unlike those reviewers who have panned the 1997 Explorer, I have found with Mobil 1 and had regular maintenance by Explorer has performed extremely well. There has been only one problem which cost about $100 in repairs. It has been an excellent truck. The gas mileage is about my only complaint but after all, it is a fairly large truck that with only average aerodynamics. I feel my Explorer has met my expectations and am totally satisfied with its performance and value.

Great Fun SUV
By Sam Truesdale on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Ford Explorer! The inside design is very comfortable and luxurious (doesn’t look cheap). The outside is just as nice again it doesn’t look like a cheap SUV. The A/C had a leak, which was the only problem so far. It has a nice amount of pickup, the V6 SOHC has all the power of a V8 around 210hp but gets the same gas mileage as a normal V6. The gas mileage could be better but it certainly is bigger and can tow more than a small mini suv that gets better mileage. (and I use the word SUV loosely) I would recommend getting one used because they lose a lot of their value within the first few years.

Fair price
By Thomas10 on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

A fair price for this SUV. No major repairs. Rear wiper motor failed (of course). Sits well and easy to get around. Never had it off road. Electrical short in the radio system that makes the some speakers go out. A bump sometimes makes them all come back on which may blow you out of the vehical!

Great vehicle!!
By Bill G. on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer Sport 4x4 new in 1997, and have had excellent experience with it so far. It's very roomy and comfortable, the engine and transmission perform very well, and the all-wheel-drive has saved me on more than one occasion! With the exception of minor inconveniences caused by the several recalls, I've been very happy with it. Ford, known to stand by its products, replaced my tires at 45000 miles free of charge, no questions asked.

Good truck to own.
By keibie2 on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased this SUV used in April of 2000, with 40k on the odometer. We're only the second owners of this vehicle. Other than some costly front-end repairs shortly after purchase (covered under warranty thankfully), my wife and I really love this vehicle. The 5.0 V8 is a gas hog only if you frequently have a heavy foot. Under normal/moderate driving conditions the fuel consumption is average for having full-time AWD and a V8. Great in Chicagoland heavy snow and rainy weather conditions. No chore has been too big for this truck. Great for a family of four.