1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Expected Better
By EJEXplorer on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I neww people who had good luck with their explorers. I have enjoyed mine but have had to invest money into many repairs, some back to back, making it inconvienient. I have 85k on it now but have had to have front suspension work done, intake manifold work, fuel injector work, cooling system overhalled and other repairs.Interior tears up fast. Console and drivers seat are torn up and rear seatbelts are stuck and not usuable (unsafe). Im dissapointed.

LOVE THIS CAR
By yohan on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a 17 year old kid, and i am very happy to have and explorer. I have been around cars all of my life and it is one of the nicest smoothest SUV's around. I is comfortable has plenty of room and do well offroading. The 5.0 V- 8 is an extremely great engine other than using up gas when you mash the pedal but this car is great

Explorer praise
By david olsen on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle performed flawlessly for the five years of ownership. No major repairs required. Simple regular maintenance kept it in top performance. Averaged 19-20 MPG on a 32 mi. commute daily at highway speeds.

Hind Sight is always 20/20
By MackDaddy on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I previously traded my 4-door Exployer for the 2-door thinking we could get better gas mileage but not give up the SUV rideability. Sorry i did! Although still under warranty at the time ,the timing belt was replaced back in 1999 around the 20k mark. My power seat latch broke on the driver side to get to the back seat. My wife has a terrible time getting the baby car seat in and getting the seat belts to work properly. It cost me about $175 to replace my battery at Oxmoor Ford of Lou, Ky, sound system went out the list goes on and own. There should have been a recall on the seats and seat belts for the 97 model.

Good, bad and ugly
By tjwarren on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

good dependable vehicle - poor city gas mileage - 12mpg -- operates very good on snowy roads and tracks well in normal driving conditions.

123000 miles and still going strong
By Terry in Los Angeles on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 97 Explorer to pull a 20' boat, then 6 months later bought a 23' boat that weights just at the maximum tow rating. I have had the transmission serviced twice due to the tow strain I put on it, but I have had no problems with any part of the drivetrain. At 100,000 miles I had a problem with the automatic climate control which caused the heater to not work and caused a hefty repair charge. The air conditioning works great. I have all the options and they all still work well.

Ready To Trade
By Knox's on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

My husband and I purchased this vechicle as a second car to replace our Jeep Cherokee (shouldn't have). It has costs us about $2,400 to keep it running. From a tune up --->muffler --- >radiator flush ---> brakes--->rotars it's a money pit. Outside of that - the ENGINE light constantly comes on....If you plan to purchase a used Ford (anytype) certainly I would suggesst you research and/or reconsider. I guess the paraphrase about F.O.R.D. is true: F=Fix | O=Or | R=Repair | D=Daily!

Owner evaluation of ford explorer xlt
By frosty sayer on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new, has been extremely dependable. No problems with engine, drive line, gears, or 4 wheel dr. Happy with entire vehicle, inside & out, and really surprised with dependability.

Okay Car....For a Ford
By Jeff2607 on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car in the spring of 2000 with 45,000 miles already on it. within the first year I had spent over 1,000 dollars just to keep it running on top of normal costs. I love the car, but am not anxious to buy another Ford.

Great Truck
By tvi on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

My Explorer has been a great ride for the past five years. No problems of any kind. There were a couple of recalls, but nothing worrisome. (Mine came with GoodYears). I got a sunroof, a nice cloth interior, the expected ammenities, and everything worked well together. The engine and transmission are smooth. It's been to Florida and back twice, and was trouble-free. I actually felt safe driving this vehicle in all conditions. Good in the snow up north too, and 4WD has been perfect.