1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The truck is the worst
By prez on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought my ford expoloxer in 99 and it has costg me so much money I would never recommed anyone to purchase this vechile you would be making a bad mistake.

Don't recommend it
By motivequeen on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I do not recommend the Explorer. I don't know if color had anything to do with mine, but I had an iris color and it was a huge lemon. I will never buy another Ford again.

Nice Truck
By SUPA FLY on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this truck used in March 2002. I was a high school student then who wanted a 'cool' ride. Everything is working very well, so far. I had a $375 mechanical problem, but that was just minor details. Other than that, this is an awesome vehicle. I have a 5 spd manual w/ 2WD so I'm expecting less problems with transmission.

Ford Explorer
By Nick Altieri on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Tough as nails. Excellent in bad weather. Extremely safe to drive. I had a head on collision at 60 miles and hour in this Explorer and Neither myself or my Wife (who was 8 months pregnant at the time) had even a scratch. I drove the car home. I have followed the service guidelines by Ford and have not had to make even one repair the the vehicle. My other vehicle is also an SUV and this one is far better quality. I cannot give a good enough recommendation for this vehicle.

disappointed
By sanjdip on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I was disappointed with the drive when I compare it to the 4runner. It drives like a truck and it has no pick up even though I have an 8 cylinder. The rear door doesn't unlock automatically and we need to jiggle the outside handle to allow the passenger to get out. And worst, the heating system went out and cost us $1200 and apparently they improved the unit but their is no recall on it. I don't want to buy a ford again.

A reliable cement truck
By VaGuy on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought 2 years ago with 46,000 miles on the truck. Great reliability but the ride is punishing and gas consumption is alarming. I own a 2001 Chevy Tahoe with a big V8 that uses far less fuel and rides much smoother. The 4WD is tremendous in foul weather, and we can't complain about repairs, but what a brutal ride to all the gas stations!

A reliable cement truck
By vaguy on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

160,000 miles still going
By wiguy on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a sales person who averages 30,000 miles a year and have had the vehicle since 48,000 miles. It now has 160,000 and still is performing like when I first got it 4 years ago. Only replacement was the transfer case at 140,000 miles. Good performer even when doing some serious off roading. Had to pull my brother in his durango out of hole I had just gone through.

Transfer case problems normal?
By Wingding on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

As a rule I have enjoyed owmning my Explorer. The only real complaints I have are the rear bumper design, the fact that the back seems to be a dirt magnet, and the cargo inside slides all over the place even when I drive slow and careful. The rear bumper is attractive, however, it holds a "ton" of dirt just from ordinary driving, no dirt roads and it is difficult to clean out. I am encountering transfer case problems with it that are very expensive to repair and no one seems to want ot include them on the extended warranty plans. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them.

Good truck
By RyanG on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Good truck, manual transmission is a little touchy and sometimes is hard to shift. Handling and ride are excellent. 4-WD works well, doesn't always kick in right away. CD changer skips a lot. Its got 130,000 miles, and still runs like new. Only big problem right now is the side-step bars are rusting