1997 Ford Explorer XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
It's been GREAT for us.
By J Scotty on 06/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

97 AWD XLT: purchased Apr 98. No major problems. Replaced O2 sensor a few times and performed regular maintenance according to schedule. Fits both me and my wife comfortably. Very reliable. We're a 1 car family and depend on this car everyday. Great versatility from trips to Home Depot to the beach to the grocrey store. Highly recommend!

97 explorer reliability
By izoom2 on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have to say that my 97 Explorer XLT v- 6 w/ leather has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones. I purchased it in '99 as an off lease vehicle with 23K miles and now have 94K miles on it. I have made sure to keep up with the PM's: oil changes, trans fluids, radiator fluids, etc. The only things that have failed are the thermostat and shocks. I topped the freon off last summer, now it's as frosty as the day I bought it. My only regret is that I did not buy the V-8 model. Oh well, now that it is paid off I hope to drive it into the ground. Perhaps it will go another 94K before then?!

Best SUV on the PLANET!!!
By Explr1 on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had the truck a year now and love it!!! Great vehicle to do mods on. Very fun offroad, love to pass Jeep's on the trail. 17" of snow last winter and it didn't even slow the Explorer down. Civic's don't stand a chance against it either. Best SUV on the planet!!!

great suv with this 4.0 soch engine
By bigblok on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

this is one great suv with the 4.0 soch we got the 1st one the dealer had. this thing has 220-240hp no problems with the engine interior was so-so.did mention this was a great engine.

Loved my Explorer till it Exploded
By flyehj on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our '97 Explorer used and loved the spacious interior equipped with all the bells and whistles. I especially liked how the backseat passengers aren't neglected like in most other SUV's of its class. However, while driving it last weekend, my teenage daughter noticed that it would not accelerate above 50mph. No warning light appeared, but she pulled over anyway, opened the hood, and found the engine in flames. By the time the Fire Dept. arrived (within 10 minutes) it was totally engulfed. It was a total loss. Fire Dept. believe it was caused by something electrical. I had just had the PM (oil change, etc.) only two weeks before.

Install X-Spec suspension upgrade!
By LittleStevie on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Five months ago I installed the Explorer Express X-Spec suspension kit. New sway bars, performance shocks, and a 1.5" lowering kit (barely visible lowering). Improved body roll, steering response, and general stability of the vehicle tremendously. I will never drive a stock Explorer again! $900 for the kit, about $400 to install. Well worth it! www.explorerexpress.com And I don't work for them either! PS Put a good set of tires on too...Michelin Cross Terrain SUV

Great, until 70K miles!
By mike125 on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

The Explorer was a great car til about 70K miles. Since then, it has been like all American Cars - falling apart. I swear they build these things to fall apart at 70K miles. How many $250 O2 sensors can be packed into a car that are made to fail at higher mileages. That is on top of the $1300 Trans rebuild that I had to do while on vacation in Fl. I know things break, but my Honda with 130K miles NEVER had any problems other than preventitive maintenance. This is the last American car that I will own!

Explorer's Rule the SUV World
By lankieone on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

We have had the vehicle for six years in September 2003. We have enjoyed the security and comfort of this vehicle. I was involved in a head on collision and literally walked away with minimal injury. I was travelling approx. 45-50mph at the time of the incident. I am grateful that I was driving my SUV at the time. My vehicle was repaired and drives great. Except for the poor mileage (it is a AWD AND and 8cyl) and the somewhat bumpy drive, I highly recommend this vehicle. I brag about it to family and friends and am looking at purchasing another soon.

Oh No, Never Again
By mikecon on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

After reading all the reviews about the ford here , seems like every issues everyones has I had from having to replace the heater, the timing belt breaking the os sensors going out, god I will write a book about all the issues, I have had I wouldn't never buy another ford, save your money people a ford exploxer will cost as much as a hummer after you add in all the repairs

The truck is the worst
By PreZ on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought my ford expoloxer in 99 and it has costg me so much money I would never recommed anyone to purchase this vechile you would be making a bad mistake.