1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Worth every penny
By Drives American on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have 304,000 miles on my Explorer. Replaced the transmission at 290,000. Replaces heads (cracked) a year ago. Dealer told me that there was no "gunk" in the heads which meant the motor runs clean. This car has raised two children and has been phenomenal! Plan on trading it in on the Ford Edge in a few days. Hard to see it go but I'm ready to get better gas mileage.

Excellent
By Happy on 02/24/10 06:11 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

My Ford Explorer is still going. Only had to replace fuel pump once it turned 10 years old. Had to change all oxygen sensors and other than regular brake work this car was a great purchase!

Good SUV
By LB on 08/11/09 21:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought car new $27K with towing packing. Overall very pleased with it. 20 mpg without fail. Great power seat but the seat back lever broke off at 100K, poor design. Loved the double driver side sun visor. Very reliable, traded it in at 143477 with only one roadside break down in 12 years due to the radiator. Good pick up. AC needed $400 repair at 140K, radio going out as well. CD changer broke at ~100K. Kept very good track of repairs. $8275 total for 143K miles.

Keeps going and going ...
By Terry Maresh on 05/17/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Am the original owner and have 122,000 mi on my Explorer. Have never had a problem that needed repairing. It runs very quiet; is comfortable (cloth seats); hauled sand, stone, U-hauls w/no issues. Only had 2 issues: the lumbar support airbag must have a slow leak and the on-off radio button doesn't want to stay off. The ride is smoother than my Ford Five Hundred! I'm exceptionally pleased with the quality and comfort. Very quiet inside, too.

Got a Good One!
By mv on 04/25/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my SUV new and have been relatively happy with it. I got a good one! I've owned my Explorer for almost 12 years, have more than 224,000 miles on it (original engine and transmission) and it's held up pretty well. Only persistent problem seems to be a roaring in my wheel bearings, which I've had serviced a few times. Other than that this was a good purchase that has paid for itself over the years. Standard service intervals were always stretched (e.g. oil changes every 4,000 to 6,000 miles) - perhaps that is the secret to this longevity. I've owned three Fords before this one, and I hope I can make my next purchase a Ford also.

Average to Good
By Matt Price on 05/08/08 07:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Generally a good vehicle. I would improve the speakers (start failing after 6 yrs), the dash lights go out, and the console material cracks. The car is good for utility use and handles bad weather nicely. Feels like the mileage could be better given the engine size. Program for fuel injection may not be optimized. I get better mileage running the AC than without.

Explorer
By Van on 07/27/07 06:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. Handles great, good steering, stable for type, gets excellent gas mileage, tows travel trailer easly with outstanding towing mileage @ 12.5 and plenty of power to pull up long steep grades. Has never been a problem, comfortable seats even with long days, have driven as much as 750 miles in a day and still going strong. Outstanding!

Best vehicle I ever owned...
By ziegfeld on 03/28/07 16:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Nearly trouble free Best vehicle I ever owned. 205,000 miles and still going strong.

Terrible Automobile
By bad ford on 02/28/06 09:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. I was a life long Ford man. Not now. This was the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought and the worst. It was poorly designed, poorly engineered, and poorly constructed. I've had nothing but problems and the dealer is no help. The list of problems, just to name a few: A "Plastic", yes you read it right, timing chain tensioner that cost me $1730.00; yes you read that right too. Blend door broke ($400.00), intake manifold seals ($600.00), O2 sensors (numerous). Fan clutch ($300.00). Numerous others. This thing had problems from front to back. It is a terrible vehicle and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Fun!
By Scott on 08/17/05 17:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

My Explorer was a lot of fun, I had to sell because of MPG - horrible - 10 to 12 MPG with 5.0 V8 on a good day. All the extras were enjoyable too. The paint started coming off in a few places and the stereo started shorting out at the same time. Overall, I put 168,000 miles on it and only had small repairs along the way.