Used 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent vehicle for trailer towing et
By Dennis Miller

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have found this to be an excellent vehicle. Interior is as new. Very limited repairs aside from a couple of brake jobs. Michelin tires put on by Ford for free are still serving me. Tows a 4,000 lb. trailer no problem..in the mountains. AWD has proven to be terrific. Have passed stalled/stuck buses, cars, SUV's many times in the mountains. Everything works! 11 years old.

AWD. Leather. Low maintenance. Computer mileage, outside temp V8, towing capacity. Mileage is reasonable for a V8. 20-21 highway

None

I still like my Explorer
By GPDMTR25

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I still love to drive my Explorer. I've never had a problem with mine although several of my friends have had minor problems with theirs. I was worried about getting an American made car so I purchased the extended warranty. I've never had a reason to use it though. My second car is a convertible Mini Cooper which is a blast to drive but I still use my Explorer to do all of my main driving because I like it so much.

It has all the bells and whistles on it.

Beware: Check Engine Light
By oaiman

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Up until recently, I enjoyed my Explorer very much. At about 68,000 miles the check engine light started coming on and Ford didn't help much finding the REAL cause. I was given estimates as high as $2300.00 to fix exhaust problems that, after much investigation, turned out to be simply that my gas cap wasn't tightened properly after I left the service station.

There's lots of cargo space. I love the auto lights, keyless entry, moom roof and leather interior. The V-8 has lots of power and the car is real good looking.

Better service from Ford Motor Company

Strong Explorer
By fordfan

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This explorer has great style and power with it's v8. It's great fun and very luxurious.

power, interior ammenities, reliability, and sound system

none

Transfer case problems normal?
By Wingding

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

As a rule I have enjoyed owmning my Explorer. The only real complaints I have are the rear bumper design, the fact that the back seems to be a dirt magnet, and the cargo inside slides all over the place even when I drive slow and careful. The rear bumper is attractive, however, it holds a "ton" of dirt just from ordinary driving, no dirt roads and it is difficult to clean out. I am encountering transfer case problems with it that are very expensive to repair and no one seems to want ot include them on the extended warranty plans. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them.

The comfort.

Some way to keep the back cleaner, especially the bumper.