Used 1997 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Worth every penny
By Drives American

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have 304,000 miles on my Explorer. Replaced the transmission at 290,000. Replaces heads (cracked) a year ago. Dealer told me that there was no "gunk" in the heads which meant the motor runs clean. This car has raised two children and has been phenomenal! Plan on trading it in on the Ford Edge in a few days. Hard to see it go but I'm ready to get better gas mileage.

Excellent
By Happy

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My Ford Explorer is still going. Only had to replace fuel pump once it turned 10 years old. Had to change all oxygen sensors and other than regular brake work this car was a great purchase!

Good SUV
By LB

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought car new $27K with towing packing. Overall very pleased with it. 20 mpg without fail. Great power seat but the seat back lever broke off at 100K, poor design. Loved the double driver side sun visor. Very reliable, traded it in at 143477 with only one roadside break down in 12 years due to the radiator. Good pick up. AC needed $400 repair at 140K, radio going out as well. CD changer broke at ~100K. Kept very good track of repairs. $8275 total for 143K miles.

Power seat. Double driver's side sun visor

Move the seat back adjust levers. Your leg hits them every time you enter and exit. They eventually snap off due to the repeated stress.

Keeps going and going ...
By Terry Maresh

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Am the original owner and have 122,000 mi on my Explorer. Have never had a problem that needed repairing. It runs very quiet; is comfortable (cloth seats); hauled sand, stone, U-hauls w/no issues. Only had 2 issues: the lumbar support airbag must have a slow leak and the on-off radio button doesn't want to stay off. The ride is smoother than my Ford Five Hundred! I'm exceptionally pleased with the quality and comfort. Very quiet inside, too.

Fold down rear seats to load more stuff, like lumber; the outside temp & compass display.

A hood rod to hold up the hood rather than hydraulic rods. Standard running boards.

Got a Good One!
By mv

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my SUV new and have been relatively happy with it. I got a good one! I've owned my Explorer for almost 12 years, have more than 224,000 miles on it (original engine and transmission) and it's held up pretty well. Only persistent problem seems to be a roaring in my wheel bearings, which I've had serviced a few times. Other than that this was a good purchase that has paid for itself over the years. Standard service intervals were always stretched (e.g. oil changes every 4,000 to 6,000 miles) - perhaps that is the secret to this longevity. I've owned three Fords before this one, and I hope I can make my next purchase a Ford also.

Cloth seats which adjust easily!

Sturdier fabric on steering wheel covering, and middle console vinyl! Once the middle console gets a small crack it will quickly escalate to a large tear, then totally rips away!