Used 1997 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Go FORD!
By rpsims82

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I've got 180k miles on my explorer and the 4.0L keeps on going! No ticks, knocks, EVERYTHING works including all power windows, locks, cruise, etc. Auto 4x4 kicks in when it needs to, 4 low and high both work outstanding. Might need a new clutch soon, but that's expected. I never liked the explorers much, but I bought this one as a back up vehicle and now it's my daily driver. Despite all of the other negative comments on gas mileage, I get from 18-20 on every fill-up. I think that's good for a big V6. Very happy with my Explorer! The 5 speed manual tranny makes it even more enjoyable! My complimants to Ford on this one.

Good 4x4 design. Handles great in snow, auto works as it should.

Cupholders in the back would be nice...

Sporty and Fun!
By AngelOU

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

My parents ordered this Explorer from the factory, custom-made for them. It has performed well after being shipped around the world, including surviving a typhoon. Regular maintenance is a must, and you will have to fix things as they break. We replaced the CD player with an MP3 player after the 6 disc changer went out. A few minor repairs along the way, but nothing more than a few hundred dollars a year. It's now my college car, and I'm enjoying it! The gas mileage is less than desirable, but it's normal for an SUV. The paint looks excellent with regular washings and waxings. The plastic covering on the driver's side seat has broken from regular use, though. Speakers stink.

Great appearance! Reliable for a car that is over 10 years old. Paint looks great, though the sidebars have rusted unfortunately. Looks better without a luggage rack, too!

Better speakers! Higher quality interior, including plastic molding and armrest covers. Seat belts get stuck in the door a lot because they won't retract all the way. Overall, it's a good car, though!

Worst Decision I have Made
By NeverBuyFordAgain

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Based on other responses, I am not the only one who has had bad experience with the Ford "Exploder". That's a typical term from mechanics. I have put over $3k in repairs to it in the 3 years I owned it. Replaced timing belt, manifold work, and it has this issue with stalling whenever it is idle, fixed it once, won't pay to fix again, traded it in(and got barely anything for it), also my horn, power locks, and rear windshield wiper all quit on me. I will NEVER buy a FORD again.

sportiness and power

Make good quality cars or don't make them at all.

I'm going to miss my '99 Explorer Sport
By mewsgal

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I absolutely loved my Ford Explorer Sport and am going to miss it terribly. It had 181,000 miles on it and was still going strong when I totaled it. I never had a single mechanical problem other than I had to replace the transmission at 170,000 miles but that was not unexpected.

My favorite feature was the sporty trim.

I wish the ride could be improved but with such a short wheel base I think that's pretty next to impossible.

This is a great Car!
By CarSearcher

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I read all the other reviews, and it seems only the people who have problems post here. I for one have enjoyed this car very much. I've had NO repair problems at all, just normal maintenance. No rattles, no qwerks at all, everything works like the day I bought it... even after 60K miles. Good job Ford!!

Looks great--fast car with the 4.0L V6