1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1997 Explorer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Go FORD!
By rpsims82

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I've got 180k miles on my explorer and the 4.0L keeps on going! No ticks, knocks, EVERYTHING works including all power windows, locks, cruise, etc. Auto 4x4 kicks in when it needs to, 4 low and high both work outstanding. Might need a new clutch soon, but that's expected. I never liked the explorers much, but I bought this one as a back up vehicle and now it's my daily driver. Despite all of the other negative comments on gas mileage, I get from 18-20 on every fill-up. I think that's good for a big V6. Very happy with my Explorer! The 5 speed manual tranny makes it even more enjoyable! My complimants to Ford on this one.

Favorite Features

Good 4x4 design. Handles great in snow, auto works as it should.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders in the back would be nice...

Sporty and Fun!
By AngelOU

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

My parents ordered this Explorer from the factory, custom-made for them. It has performed well after being shipped around the world, including surviving a typhoon. Regular maintenance is a must, and you will have to fix things as they break. We replaced the CD player with an MP3 player after the 6 disc changer went out. A few minor repairs along the way, but nothing more than a few hundred dollars a year. It's now my college car, and I'm enjoying it! The gas mileage is less than desirable, but it's normal for an SUV. The paint looks excellent with regular washings and waxings. The plastic covering on the driver's side seat has broken from regular use, though. Speakers stink.

Favorite Features

Great appearance! Reliable for a car that is over 10 years old. Paint looks great, though the sidebars have rusted unfortunately. Looks better without a luggage rack, too!

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers! Higher quality interior, including plastic molding and armrest covers. Seat belts get stuck in the door a lot because they won't retract all the way. Overall, it's a good car, though!

Worst Decision I have Made
By NeverBuyFordAgain

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Based on other responses, I am not the only one who has had bad experience with the Ford "Exploder". That's a typical term from mechanics. I have put over $3k in repairs to it in the 3 years I owned it. Replaced timing belt, manifold work, and it has this issue with stalling whenever it is idle, fixed it once, won't pay to fix again, traded it in(and got barely anything for it), also my horn, power locks, and rear windshield wiper all quit on me. I will NEVER buy a FORD again.

Favorite Features

sportiness and power

Suggested Improvements

Make good quality cars or don't make them at all.

I'm going to miss my '99 Explorer Sport
By mewsgal

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I absolutely loved my Ford Explorer Sport and am going to miss it terribly. It had 181,000 miles on it and was still going strong when I totaled it. I never had a single mechanical problem other than I had to replace the transmission at 170,000 miles but that was not unexpected.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was the sporty trim.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the ride could be improved but with such a short wheel base I think that's pretty next to impossible.

This is a great Car!
By CarSearcher

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I read all the other reviews, and it seems only the people who have problems post here. I for one have enjoyed this car very much. I've had NO repair problems at all, just normal maintenance. No rattles, no qwerks at all, everything works like the day I bought it... even after 60K miles. Good job Ford!!

Favorite Features

Looks great--fast car with the 4.0L V6

Suggested Improvements

None

Tough Little Explorer
By llibst

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Six years and almost 90,000 miles this 97 Explorer Sport has been on of the most bullet proof vehicles our family has ever owned. Even survived a roll over collision in west Texas snow. No major mechanical problems, the single overhead cam engine just keeps running, no problems with a/c, electrical, sound system. Tires even seem to last longer than other SUVs we've owned

Favorite Features

durable, easy to haul stuff, tow a small trailer, easy to handle, single overhead cam 6 is plenty of power to tow small trailer

Suggested Improvements

4 doors are more practical, offer a fully featured no frills edition like the Xterra

The truck is the worst
By PreZ

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought my ford expoloxer in 99 and it has costg me so much money I would never recommed anyone to purchase this vechile you would be making a bad mistake.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

discountinue truck

Oh No, Never Again
By mikecon

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

After reading all the reviews about the ford here , seems like every issues everyones has I had from having to replace the heater, the timing belt breaking the os sensors going out, god I will write a book about all the issues, I have had I wouldn't never buy another ford, save your money people a ford exploxer will cost as much as a hummer after you add in all the repairs

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Stop seeling the truck or overhaul the entire line.

The truck is the worst
By prez

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

discountinue truck

Nice Truck
By SUPA FLY

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this truck used in March 2002. I was a high school student then who wanted a 'cool' ride. Everything is working very well, so far. I had a $375 mechanical problem, but that was just minor details. Other than that, this is an awesome vehicle. I have a 5 spd manual w/ 2WD so I'm expecting less problems with transmission.

Favorite Features

Lots of fun to drive! Comfortable. Good highway gas mileage. Can haul a lot.

Suggested Improvements

The black lining over the wheels (on the body) and black trim along the bottom of the car looks really cheap; I'd rather not have it there. Stock speakers sucked, but I got those replaced real fast. Gas mileage sucks for city.