1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 1996 1 owner Ford Explorer

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

1996 1 owner Ford Explorer 4wd 4 dr
By drbobe on

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

When I purchased the 96 Explorer it was my 2nd one. I had a 91 2dr 4wd and sold it to my Dad. My 96 was fine till 55,000 miles when the odometer broke. It was already out of warranty and cost $1000 to fix due to it being one of a cluster . I had to repair the a/c twice costing $1000 each time. I replaced the radiator at $800. I've replaced the transfer case at $3500 and the Transmission at $2000. This vehicle is only used to go to and from work and school 5-10 miles away. Recently, my daughter was driving it on I-95 coing home from college and the engine failed costing me $400 to tow it home 71 miles. It appears it is only worth $2000 when running.

Favorite Features

The only feature I liked on this car was it had a rear a/c blower for persons in the back seat and it had a smooth ride up to 60mph.

Suggested Improvements

The engineering of the car was cheap and I will never by another Ford Product. I sank so much money in this car to keep it maintained and it still failed.