1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1996 Explorer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Amazingly Tough!!!
By glenniz

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this 1996 XLT as a first car for my daughter to learn how to drive and then I was going to sell it. Well guess what....I'm going to do some maintenance on it and keep it for myself. The 5.0L motor is amazing and the transmission shifts like it was new (this vehicle has 185,000 miles on it). It still gets 18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the Hwy. and has absolutely NO oil leaks!!! I'm Impressed!!!!!

Favorite Features

Very good ride quality, excellent acceleration and seats five comfortably. For it's size, the gas mileage is pretty darned good!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing Really!

Driving on SNOW STORMS
By udarab88

1996 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV 4WD

This is not a good SUV to drive on heavy snow high ways. Specially 4x4. I spinned twice and hit on the edge of the highway safety guards. I was driving 30mph on a 70mph road. Please use 2 wheel drive on high ways when its really bad on roads.

Still Working
By slinsk

1996 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 4.0L, 4dr, 4wd, auto XLT as a new loss leader from the Sunday newspaper auto section in 1996 for $23k. Had to replace a blown head gasket twice. First time was my fault because thermostat was bad and temp gage wasn't working so engine overheated & blew the head gasket. 2nd time was just from age & I was able to save a few thousand by doing the labor myself (~$700 in parts & machine shop work on the valves/heads). Now has 157k on it. Transmission is starting to slip but I understand that's normal wear & tear with this many miles. Other than that, just had the usual, tires, alternator, brakes stuff. The truck has been a workhorse.

Favorite Features

Dependability & all-weather handling but have rarely used the 4wd. Love the hatchback/rear storage, nice sound system (upgraded). Best overall feature is versatility

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked a more heavy duty transmission. Recessed oil filter is a pain to get off sometimes without spilling dirty oil. Would like more power ports - especially in read seat. Entire dashboard, while functional, looks very plain and "plasticy". Would like some kind of integrated maintenance reminder system based on time or mileage.

1996 1 owner Ford Explorer 4wd 4 dr
By drbobe

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

When I purchased the 96 Explorer it was my 2nd one. I had a 91 2dr 4wd and sold it to my Dad. My 96 was fine till 55,000 miles when the odometer broke. It was already out of warranty and cost $1000 to fix due to it being one of a cluster . I had to repair the a/c twice costing $1000 each time. I replaced the radiator at $800. I've replaced the transfer case at $3500 and the Transmission at $2000. This vehicle is only used to go to and from work and school 5-10 miles away. Recently, my daughter was driving it on I-95 coing home from college and the engine failed costing me $400 to tow it home 71 miles. It appears it is only worth $2000 when running.

Favorite Features

The only feature I liked on this car was it had a rear a/c blower for persons in the back seat and it had a smooth ride up to 60mph.

Suggested Improvements

The engineering of the car was cheap and I will never by another Ford Product. I sank so much money in this car to keep it maintained and it still failed.

Can't complain one bit
By roller_k

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 96 in 98 with 14000 miles on it. 12 years and 160,000 miles later and it never had a breakdown. The transmission never gave me problems. Only problem after many years was the link to the auto transmission and the back door lock had problems that I never took it in for. I did most of the scheduled maintenance myself and I'm no real mechanic. Great vehicle from Ford.

Sure footed ride
By Anonymous

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

92,000 miles on 5.0 L and it still looks and runs almost like new. Terrible gas mileage(16)and some engine noise. I've pulled a 16 ft box trailer all over, it has plenty of power and suspension, just doesn't have the long wheel base for stability.Love the short turning radius, tight suspension, and awd traction. No significant repairs other than the heater controls are shot, can't turn it off - damper? On the second set of brake pads and have just recently started noticing rotor warp on original set. Still uses zero oil between changes. On the second set of tires. Original muffler and suspension!! No rust. This vehicle has been babied, but it is still runs and looks great at 14.

Favorite Features

Steering and turning circle, pulling power. Nice seats and sound. No alignment issues to ruin the tires. True keyless entry with key pad.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. Extended rear view mirrors for trailer. Less engine whine. Lessen the weight. Auto on lights should be on every vehicle. Ford touts safety, but fails to implement this vital low cost feature. Better a few dollars to avoid a crash than armoring up to surviving one. 4 whl traction control

1996 2 dr 4x4 explorer sport
By steve

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 200,100 miles on my SUV. I purchased my 1996 with 108,000 miles for $3200.00. I have put 92,000 miles on it. I have had to replace upper ball joints, tires and routine oil changes, battery, alternator. Other than that I got more than my money's worth still running strong. I purchased 70,000 tires thinking they would outlive the truck. Now I need new tires.

Favorite Features

little rust issues. little maintanance

Very Dependable SUV
By Starsky64

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my Explorer XLT used 7 years ago with 69k miles. It now has over 125k miles and still going strong. Very comfortable interior with durable cloth seats. I have never had any major maintenance issues with this truck. The only items that needed replacement were the two front upper control arm/ball joint assemblies. The body is still relatively rust-free considering it is now 14 years old. Very well made vehicle.

Favorite Features

6-disc CD player built in center console.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage from 4.0L V6.

Great SUV
By Michael J

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer XLT with 59k miles on it and 3 years old. It is now 14 years old with 280k miles on it. The only major repair I have had was replacing the AC 2 years ago. I think it was about 1000 to replace it. I am searching for something else now because I am worried it might be on its last leg. Who knows, it may last another 100k miles Definitely recommend an Explorer!

A disappointment
By EdC

1996 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

This SUV was the first vehicle I got to drive as soon as I received my license. Once I did receive it, I got to see all the problems that accompanied it. In 8 years, we had to replace the transmission 3 times. There was an incredible amount of body roll at speeds above 55 mph (that made it feel dangerous on the highway), and the suspension had a horrendous squeak whenever the wheels drove over anything. Gas mileage was terrible with the weak V6. However, regardless of all its faults, I got very close to this car and was sad to finally see it go when we discarded it through the Cash for Clunkers program.

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Equip with a turbocharged 4-cylinder.