Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

WHAT I EXPECT FROM AN EXPLORER
By Kevin B

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a lot of Ford Explorers over the years from a 76 Ford Explorer Truck to a Camper Special to even owning a 92 Ford Explorer SUV with all them having accept for the camper special having V6 or inline 6 cylinder engines, but my latest is the AWD V8 which is a work of art to me. This truck in dependable and reliable. Of course I know it is not used to go rock climbing and is for normal to mid off road use, unlike most try to think it should be. In my opinion this SUV is what it should do an average to above average SUV

Guess I Got One Of The Good Ones
By greenmamba

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought mine with 135K back in '01. It now has over 300K and has been the perfect vehicle. Still looks fantastic, interior has a small 1 1/2 inch tear on the driver seat's side. Has never left us walking. Same transmission, water pump, rear end. The only big things replaced are a/c and radiator. Both done by me and all maintenance also.

It's paid for. Center mounted info center. How easy it is to do most repairs and maintenance.

Ford has already done them.

Amazingly Tough!!!
By glenniz

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this 1996 XLT as a first car for my daughter to learn how to drive and then I was going to sell it. Well guess what....I'm going to do some maintenance on it and keep it for myself. The 5.0L motor is amazing and the transmission shifts like it was new (this vehicle has 185,000 miles on it). It still gets 18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the Hwy. and has absolutely NO oil leaks!!! I'm Impressed!!!!!

Very good ride quality, excellent acceleration and seats five comfortably. For it's size, the gas mileage is pretty darned good!

Nothing Really!

Driving on SNOW STORMS
By udarab88

1996 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV 4WD

This is not a good SUV to drive on heavy snow high ways. Specially 4x4. I spinned twice and hit on the edge of the highway safety guards. I was driving 30mph on a 70mph road. Please use 2 wheel drive on high ways when its really bad on roads.

Still Working
By slinsk

1996 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 4.0L, 4dr, 4wd, auto XLT as a new loss leader from the Sunday newspaper auto section in 1996 for $23k. Had to replace a blown head gasket twice. First time was my fault because thermostat was bad and temp gage wasn't working so engine overheated & blew the head gasket. 2nd time was just from age & I was able to save a few thousand by doing the labor myself (~$700 in parts & machine shop work on the valves/heads). Now has 157k on it. Transmission is starting to slip but I understand that's normal wear & tear with this many miles. Other than that, just had the usual, tires, alternator, brakes stuff. The truck has been a workhorse.

Dependability & all-weather handling but have rarely used the 4wd. Love the hatchback/rear storage, nice sound system (upgraded). Best overall feature is versatility

Would have liked a more heavy duty transmission. Recessed oil filter is a pain to get off sometimes without spilling dirty oil. Would like more power ports - especially in read seat. Entire dashboard, while functional, looks very plain and "plasticy". Would like some kind of integrated maintenance reminder system based on time or mileage.

• SUV