Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I truly plan to keep my Explorer
By jltacy

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I plan to keep my Explorer until the most expensive thing that can go wrong, goes wrong. I have only had 1 small part replaced since I bought it in 2002. I cannot imagine driving a car again. I am spoiled. It has over 110,000 miles on it and I have had no major repairs, only wear and tear items. Yes it gets 15 - 16 miles per gallon, but when you are not making payments that quite a savings.

Heater and air conditioner instantly performs. Heated side mirrors, suspension system-air ride system. Comfortable leather seats and lots of cargo space. And the color, I love my beige Explorer, very classy look.

Only more efficient fuel usage.

174 k and still like it
By WL

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought it used for cheap off a Toyota dealership lot, with 100k already on it. Had to be talked into buying it by the salesman, and have never regretted it. Drove a 6 cylinder prior to the 8 cylinder. Grandma won't get on the freeway with the pathetically weak 6 cylinder. but the 8 cylinder hauls! Bad gas mileage, hard ride (as expected from an SUV?). Lots of features, the 3.73 rear-end (read:traction) even got me around on Texas "black ice" as good or better than the 4WD's were doing. Tows a 3500 pound boat ok too. Tranny rebuilt at 120k for $1600. Overall, could be a little more reliable I guess. Buy one cheap and replace the parts when they go bad. A good deal for the money. Haven't been stranded yet.

8 cylinder power. Both front power leather seats, 3.73 limited slip rear-end (great for the boat ramp without need for 4WD). Power mirrors, outside temp gauge, pretty ice blue color. Versatility of an SUV. The XLT package is great.

Softer ride, better gas mileage.

Not for little people
By pmm

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this car from my sister for my husband. He was happy driving to work and home. My primary vehicle blew a rod in the engine so I had to drive this car for six months while I saved for a new car. I drive a lot and I am only 5 ft. tall. This car has got to be the most uncomfortable vehicle made. It has been very reliable but I need to be put in traction now, plus the $75-85 weekly gas bill I could have just skipped the experience and paid a car note (minus chiropractor bills) instead.

Cargo space in rear,mechanical reliability.

More miles per gallon, seat adjustments for smaller people.

Green Explorer That Wouldn't
By Blue from VB

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

It is a roomy midsize SUV and the ride was car-like. It had a lot of nifty features as one would expect from a Ford that was not entry level, including a compass, temperature gauge, reclining front and rear seats, etc. The downside to it is when it goes it goes! In a twelve month period I spent almost $2,000 in maintenance ($900 for a heater core, $600 for a water pump 6 months later, then $500 for brakes and front tires). The vehicle left me stranded on two seperate occassions and I do my regularly scheduled maintenance on all of my vehicles. Ford's service was subpar and it was the last Ford that I will buy!

Lots of features, leather, gadgets, V- 8 power, aggressive off road look even without the brushguard.

Lots of features that I could look at when I was stranded off road.

Will drive this one till it dies...
By LUVmySUV

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 1996. Fabulous vehicle all-around, no issues, never been in the shop for any mechanical reason. I especially love the tight turning radius. It will do a 360 on a dime. My only complaint is the poor 14/17 mpg. I've never seen the 18/21 it was rated by Ford.

Sounds so simple, but I have the center and upper console feature, and I use it all the time. Great for storage in general. I'm always digging in it. Again, can't say enough about it's handling, overall power, and tight turning radius. It's the best looking 2-door SUV on the road today!

Can be a little loud at highway speeds with road noise; Also, the hollow steel bumpers and step-bars are showing signs of rust from the inside-out due to living in the North's high salted roads during winter, making it difficult to rinse away salt. Ford could have gone solid and saved this eyesore.