1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
A Good Sport
By TIMDOGG on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. Bought in 3/99 with about 20000 miles now has 84000 and haven't had any major problems.

i love my explorer
By randoelfilosofo on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

i am very happy with my limited 8 cyl. explorer. the 5 liter engine is very powerful. the color is beautiful in pearl white and it also has a very nice interior. the leather is very soft, i am very proud of my explorer and i think it was a great investment

My Experience as an Explorer Owner
By keysfish on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the transmission and the 4WD components changed out by the Dealership twice. Although it is running properly now, I can't trust it anymore.

WORST GAS MILEAGE I'VE EVER SEEN!
By 7774u on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We have the V-8 XLT in 2WD and it seems to only get 8-12mpg (if we are lucky). The ride is stiff and unpleasant for long trips. Over taking a car on the California freeways becomes a chore with this SUV, it makes more noise than it speeds up. Most of the plastic trim on the interior seems to look cheap as the dash seems to not fit together after a while. I will admit I like the trunk. It does give you more than enough space with out folding down the rear seats. The rear heat, air, and stereo controls are perfect. Head room is also a plus. The feeling of the brake pedal becomes one with you giving you a sense of great stopping power.

Jim's Review
By Explorer Sport Guy on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. With regular maintenance it has preformed excellent. Origional brakes and tires were good to 80,000 miles!

It goes the distance
By Ford is Awesome on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This explorer has 192,000 miles and hasn't skipped a beat yet. I can tell that the transmission is slowly going, but I can't complain. When washed and waxed, its a great looking ride. The ONLY thing that has broken is the driver side power lock.

Reliable and lots of space with 2 door
By BARCA99 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own it for more than a year. All I had to do was change the oil. When I bought it had close to 100k miles and I have put another 20k and runs great. In the freeway I get 21 miles per gallon and in the city around 14. I recommended this car to students and professionals who need to carry tools.

Worst Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Fed Up With Ford on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

If anyone is looking for a pre-owned SUV, avoid this one at all costs. With 73,000 miles, I've had axle and steering problems, replaced the water pump, thermostat, ball joints and now need a head gasket. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things. The transmission fluid is burnt and probably close to going. Time to dump this one and go foreign.

Like It!
By kw on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like it and have had no major problems but i always buy the extended warranty so the (just in case) happens i am prepared for it with as little cost as possible.

fix or repair daily
By chevy owner on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

we had our explore for 5 years. It was in the shop at least once a month for the 1st year they could never fix the problems. A loose rear sway barwas fixed after 4 vists. then stuff really started to go wrong. we replace the rear door handles 3 time under warranty left the broke after that. replace the ball joints 8 times!!!! each one at least once the cv joint once had to send the front end 200 miles toi get it fixed. and could not get parts for except form ther dealership for 4 years not even the 25 dollar air filter. Overall the car always ran but needed constant