Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Almost 200K Miles Later...
By dr.girlfriend

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The 1996 Ford Explorer XLT (V6) has definitely been the finest car I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. (My dad says "I can't believe that car has been so good to you!" He's jealous). I bought it used with a little less than 75K miles on it, and now it has over 180K, and still running strong. No major mechanical problems, and has never went one morning without starting right up. I've been all around the country with it. The value on paper is soooooo far below what it's REALLY worth! I would recommend this fantastically-performing car to anyone who wants something reliable, roomy, nice-looking, and lovable.

Rear air, solar tint, power everything, Premium sound, peace of mind, kicky acceleration...what's NOT to love?

I haven't had any near-rollover scares, but I've heard this can be a problem in these cars. Personally, I think the 1996 XLT is perfection.

Drivin' this 1 'til bottom falls out!
By LoveMySUV

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Original owner, love this vehicle. I will cry the day I have to get rid of it. I've had NO issues, repairs, etc. other than regular maintenance or the occasional cracked radiator hose or seal deterioration (at 10 years old, this is expected). In attempts to improve gas mileage, I added K&N air filter, open cat-back exhaust with 2" pipe, and performance spark plugs, boosting from Std 160 HP to about 180. The occasional tow of 750-1000 lbs. and the random off-road experiences make this a fun ride. It turns 180 on a dime, I've seen no other car make turns like this one. I've never managed to get the EPA fuel rating, and this, to be honest is the only problem I have, with 14/17 mpg city/hwy.

U-turns on a dime, virtually maintenance free, sporty, solid performance and durability, super fun.

EPA fuel rating are a lie. Don't expect 18/21, you get 14/17. Solid step bars, rather than hollow, would prevent early rusting of steps and bumpers.

Common yet reliable
By Lukas

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My first truck. Big, bulky, gas consuming auto yet I can finally fit all along with my family. Mechanically sound and solid, I love the 5-speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch - no problems there, good pick up yet sluggish if you do not know how to handle it. Clean and powerful engine. Explorer is extremely popular truck around and I was afraid Ford builds quantity and not quality - I guess I was wrong, absolutely no mechanical problems. The gas prices are the main concern as this truck likes to consume. I get better mileage with manual transmission but fill up costs me a bundle

5-speed manual transmission, good solid truck.

The switch between AWD to 2WD or 4WD, the switch itself reminds me of a wiper switch, should be more noticeable and more rustic.

A Better Explorer
By Jim Myers

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

After owning 4 Explorers over the years and living with their poor cornering, I was amazed at driving an All-Wheel-Drive version. No more slowing down in a turn 'cause you felt the "it's gonna tip over!" feeling. What a difference! It felt, and still does, like a big sports car. Very safe and secure feeling. Very well built. My ONLY complaint is the fuel economy! Typically 12-14mpg and 11 if all city. I don't lead foot (remember the Shell Answer Man commercials?). I'll never sell this one as in its extended life it will carry big things till the wheels fall off. I still love it.

Its overall performance and feel.

Make this a mid size SUV hybrid with 30mpg!

good deal
By mary cabral

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had this car for nine years. Has had very very few repairs on it. I did replace the battery three times and I replaced the tires once. It has 28,000 miles and still looks pretty new and the motor is in excellent condition. I drive this car on long trips and it has never stopped on me for any reason. I did treat it well, with oil changes every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I strongly recommend it. I had ever had a Ford before because I like foreign cars but this Explorer proved me wrong!

Reliability, gas mileage, good looks.

The roll-over possibility should be illuminated. I did have a few close calls when I twisted the wheel suddenly for whatever reason.